Thread: a book pedestal

a book pedestal

So LOML asked me if I could build her something she could put books and papers on for reading, so she wouldn't have to stare straight down at her desk. "No problem," I said. (Excuse for new tools, I thought). "Oh, and it would be nice if it folded down when I wasn't using it."

"Uh, huh," I thought. I've never made anything with moving parts. After many hours of Sketchup, I started building what would become this:
    pedestal_in_use.jpg

Not knowing what angle would be best for reading, I decided to make it adjustable.
    pedestal_back.jpg

I decided I wanted to do something special, so I veneered some felines on the front. First time at veneering/marquetry. Woo-hoo! (notice the models)
    pedestal_with_models.jpg

After all, it was a gift for our wood anniversary
    pedestal_writing.jpg
    (Charcoal and Squirt are her cats, Reeses is my dog. For some reason, the cats are more interested in the wood shop than the dog)

And I didn't forget to make it so it would fold down.
    pedestal_closed.jpg

---------------------------------------------

The wood was all maple, with MDF under the veneer for the front panel. The cats are tiger maple. The finish is French polish.

Thanks for looking!

---Mike

Nice work.........that's a cool looking project!!

Nice work, Michael. The finish looks like it came out very well, and I like the inlay work (don't like cats, but don't tell your wife!)

Thomas Jefferson had a somewhat similar design on a pivoting stand, as I recall, that held multiple books.

Very nice work and a very useful item.

Simple design loaded with function. Great idea to make it adjustable and fold up for when not in use. I may take your lead on this one even though I modify everything.. everything I tell you as even the 12 step program won't break the habit.

Very well done...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler