Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever buy tools & not use them?

Ever buy tools & not use them?

I did some heavy duty shop cleaning and rearranging this last weekend and began to realize I have serious case of TD (Tool Disease). I buy tools and equipment just because I find good deals or something really appeals to me; not because I really need such a tool.

A small example of what I haven't used includes a new compressor, 2 high-end circular saws, a Delta tenoning jig, several table saw blades, more router bit sets than I care to say, a belt sander, 6 inch grinder, 2 detail sanders, mortise attachment for DP, and so on and so on....

I already have many tools that fill my needs for what I already like to build. I realize I am fortunate that I can make such purchases but I am running into a space problem now.

(I have the same problem with fishing poles, 44 at last count.)

My wife told me the first step to recovery is admitting I have a problem. Yes, my name is Kev, and I have TD. Anyone else suffering from TD?
    Kev
    Last edited by Kev Godwin; 08-24-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling

My problem is salvaged material, LOL
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

You have a "disorder", not a "disease". The correct term for what you have is "Tool Acquisition Disorder". It is good that you have faced up to having a "problem" and your wife is correct in her statement that this is the first step to recovery. I believe there is a "twelve step" program for this.

One effective cure is to force your self to actually use the tools. Many who suffer from this disorder are cured as soon as they realize that every time they acquire a new tool, they have to do some work. This has proven to be an effective "aversion therapy".

Another "technique" is to set a limit on the number of tools you allow yourself to own. What that means is that every time you acquire a new tool, you have to get rid of one you already own. This does not actually "cure" the disorder. In fact many experts feel that this "enables" the disorder by permitting the affected person to continue to indulge his "tool gluttony". But is does address the storage space problem.

You can also try a treatment in which you must think of and design a project that can be completed only with the tools you currently own that have not yet been used. Often, this creates such a strong mental strain that the "victim" simply becomes distracted and forgets all about buying new tools.
    Last edited by David DeCristoforo; 08-24-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    David DeCristoforo

Of course the alternative treatment is:

1. Sell all your tools
    2. Move to California and borrow David DeCristoforo's tools

PM me for his address....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

"...borrow David DeCristoforo's tools..."

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Actually, I have a few I would not mind selling myself....
    David DeCristoforo

I rarely regret buying a tool I purchase to do a specific job - I can look around my shop and associate the first project I bought a tool for. It seems like if I need a tool once I'll probably use it again on other projects. It probably suits the way I work.

The items sitting around gathering dust are the "cool" things I see in email offers from Rockler, Woodcraft, Woodpecker, etc. and buy without a real need. I have nothing against these companies at all - they are good companies and sell great products. I just seem to have a fair amount of things I've purchased from them that seemed interesting in the email/catalog but I can't justify digging out of the drawer when I could use it.

Roger

I use EVERY tool at least once. When I take it out of the box and look at it......

I know I have 2 engravers somewhere. I bought the second one just before I found the first one that I was looking for for weeks. Now I can't find either. Again. LOL.

I bought the Dial-A-Dado. I didn't realize the arbor on my table saw was too short for the tool. Instead of returning it, it's become a motivator to upgrade the from the contractor saw.

Steps two through twelve are to send any surplus tools to me!

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Godwin View Post
    Anyone else suffering from TD?
    Well DUH. I'm a guy. Of course I buy things I don't use.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

What a ridiculous notion. NO man has tools he hasn't used, they're just tools he hasn't used YET.

I bought a Porter Cable dovetail jig when I first got back into woodworking three years ago. I have yet to use it. I now realize I need an adjustable dovetail jig. That will be a much nicer and more impressive jig which I won't use.

It seemed I had the disorder when I first started setting up shop and changing careers. I bought a lot of things I "envisioned" I might need as a professional wood worker but would not be able to afford once I left my reasonable rate of pay to become a poor apprentice in a new field. One such item that comes to mind is a Lie Nielson Scrub plane. Beautiful piece of work I have yet to put in a single piece of wood. In fact i have a number of old hand planes that I have been reconditioning and putting into service as my facility with hand planes and my fondness for them grows, but for a time it seemed the collection was far outpacing any actual need.

Anyway, at a certain point I decided I was done. I will not buy ANY tools or tooling for which there is not a specific need and without which I cannot proceed. It turns out you can do most things with very little. Now I generally buy a tool AFTER I have found a work around so I will be able to work more efficiently and pleasantly the next time. Did you catch that little justification? Seems I am not cured but I have at least become functional using a sort of "pay it forward" strategy. Build first, buy second.

I fall into the category of "I haven't used yet". Finding a tool that you need on sale when you need it is a hard thing to do. I sold a few things that I bought and never used only to find out that I could have used it the following week. No more selling of tools unless I upgrade. I am into woodworking to justify my tool collecting. You can never have too many tools!!!!!

Over 38 years.. with the exception of a PC biscuit joiner... no.

PS.. want to buy a PC biscuit joiner used once?
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler