Thread: Curving a stair riser?

Curving a stair riser?

Hello, folks.

I've almost finished my stairs renovation. My stairs are almost identical to these:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ghlight=stairs

My color scheme is also identical to Glenn's. My question revolves around the curved stair riser at the bottom. There is currently a substrate there (maybe SYP) that is missing the original veneer. What's the best technique to curve 1/4" oak ply around the curve? I've tried kerfing the backside approximately halfway through with consistent, tight spacing, but when I go to install, the face veneer ultimately splinters before I get anywhere near the final radius. Should I steam the wood first? How deep should the kerf cuts go?

I don't have the option of laminating, as I don't own a bandsaw.

Thanks much!

Zayd

stair bend

I would try some bending ply or italian poplar (1/8") and laminate until you reach your thickness, then veneer the final layer. The Italian poplar will make that radius easily. Around here, Windsor plywood stocks the poplar. They even sold me a half sheet for exactly half the price.

The saw kerfs must go almost all the way though the 3/4" ply riser. Only the face veneer is left. The riser is than carefully bent around plywood forms which are dadoed into the back of the riser. If after you have done this, you still have a riser that is not to your satisfaction, you can than veneer a piece of birch to the face. Hope this helps.

Richard
    Richard

Thanks, guys. Is there any benefit in steaming the riser before I bend?

Large stair companies hit them with a blast of steam to soften the fibers before bending. It's most likely not much of an advantage to a one time shot to set up a steam table. Just bend slowly and with consistent pressure.

Richard
    Richard

I did what Richard said and cut through to the top veneer about every 1/4 inch...but I also wet the wood before I bent it. I don't know if it helped...but it came out pretty smooth.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 09-03-2009 at 11:51 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

You do know that you can buy veneer...................

right? I have even used some that came with a PSA already applied.

Ed
    Come on in friend, here's what you'll find
    A well used shop where you can rest your mind
    The beer's cold and the wood is dry
    We keep the Red Oak piled 6 feet high