Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: educate me about router template bushings

educate me about router template bushings

I have to cut 16 mortises for some butt hinges. I plan to make a template out of 3/4" plywood.

I have a PC 690 router with standard bases. Looking at my bits, none of the top bearing bits are small enough to work inside the template.

I think I need a router template bushing. Can you tell me how they work, what dimensions to measure, and suggest a manufacturer? I have two 1/4" shank bits - one 1/2" dia. cutter, and one 1/4" dia. cutter. Which one should I setup with the bushing? The corners of the hings are square - what O.D. bushing do I need?

I see Ace Hardware has a set: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1291625
    is this garbage? Should I buy a kit or individual ones?

If I were u, I'd get a brass set. They'll ride smoother and last longer.
    If you get a set, then you can experiment. There's no real trick to it:

Just build yr template larger than the hole you want by the width of the bushing.

The bigger the bit, the quicker the router work, but it'll require chiseling your corners to match your hinges. If yr hinges are square, this is easy. If yr hinges are round, then size the bit - not the bushing - to the radius of the curve.

Thickness of the template should match the depth of the busing collar.

When you install the bushing, make sure you use a centering tool (or or method) to ensure the bushing is centered aroung the collet. If it isn't centered and you don't maintain exactly the same point of contact to the template (which involves the router and is very difficult to do), you'll could end up cutting different setbacks on the left sand right sides of the mortise.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    When you install the bushing, make sure you use a centering tool (or or method) to ensure the bushing is centered aroung the collet. If it isn't centered and you don't maintain exactly the same point of contact to the template (which involves the router and is very difficult to do), you'll could end up cutting different setbacks on the left sand right sides of the mortise.

good tip

are there any brass bushing kits that come with a centering tool? Otherwise how would you go about centering it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Davis View Post
    ...I think I need a router template bushing. Can you tell me how they work, what dimensions to measure, and suggest a manufacturer? ...
    As I recall, there are two different types of bushings, the "Bosch" type and the "Porter-Cable" type. The two types use a different method to attach to the router. Be sure whatever bushing(s) you get are compatible with your router or has an adaptor to allow it to fit. I don't know the style of the bushing in the link you posted, but noted in passing that it had only one user review and it was a complaint that it wouldn't fit the user's router. You might want to look before you leap.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Been there, done that, still waiting or the t-shirt

Excellent article on use of router bushings in the Maloof issue of FWW.

Although many of Harbor Freight's items are hit-or-miss, their brass bushing set has worked fine for me. The price is good, too.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98628

I don't know. I didn't have to look. I purchase a Bosch kit that came with one (it's a good idea for centering circular base plates as well). The Bosch part number is RA1150 and is on Amazon for $8 plus shipping. I know I have seen one or two others out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Davis View Post
    good tip

are there any brass bushing kits that come with a centering tool? Otherwise how would you go about centering it?
    A long taper dovetail bit works good for the smaller guides. Put the template guide on loose. Install the dovetail bit through the template bushing and into the collet. Now raise the base until the bushing stops against the dovetail bit. Tighten up the bushing and remove the dovetail bit.

-UtahAV
    -Mark

Also, the bushing nuts are notorious for coming loose which can ruin your day.

I subtract the radius of the bit from the radius of the template guide and that is the amount of extra room you need on each side of your template. For example: 3/4" template guide and 1/2" bit, 3/8"-1/4"= 1/8" offset. We make ours out of mdf by cutting 4 pieces and gluing them back together to form whatever cutout you need. Also most people cut and grind the template guides down to about 1/4" tall so thinner templates can be used. If you don`t have a plunge router make the jig wide by more than the bit diamiter and add a fence to the jig to clamp it to the door. Then you can start the router and then move into the cut, also after you rout through the fence the first time it gives you the exact cut line of the bit so you can set the jig to a mark. Hope this all makes sense. Let me know. Good luck.

To the many good suggestions and advice already offered, I would only add two words: "TEST CUTS"!!!
    David DeCristoforo

Bushings are for a variety of things, however they are VERY useful if you want to use a template and the bit does not have a bearing. Like a spiral upcut, you only want to go so deep and follow a template, well the bit will shred a template, but centered in a bushing you can use it on a template safely.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson