Thread: next tool

next tool

I know this is a tough question to answer, but i am looking to buy my next tool. I do a lot of general woodworking, cases, boxes, furniture is next. so....my choices are
    1) router table
    2) Dovetail jig
    3) LV bevel up jointer

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Build you own router table. A DT Jig is great when you need it. I have one but it gets little use.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I know this is a tough question to answer, but i am looking to buy my next tool. I do a lot of general woodworking, cases, boxes, furniture is next. so....my choices are
    1) router table
    2) Dovetail jig
    3) LV bevel up jointer

Any and all suggestions would be welcome.
    1. You can build a nice router table cheaper than you can buy one. There are any number of sources for plans -- or just make something up.
    2. Learn to hand-cut dovetails, much more satisfying and you won't have to mess with complicated setups.
    3. Ah, a nice plane. This is something you can't easily make yourself. Buy it!

Just my $0.02.

Kevin H.

True, you can make all of them. All depends on your time and money. I have all of them and my router table gets a lot more use. However, it all depends on your project list and the tools you already have.

The LV BU jointer is really nice. Unfortunately, it is a way to big if it is your first hand plane. Not a bad buy if you already have a block, shoulder, and a smoother.

A router table is really nice. I do not have a lot of time... but I do have a lot of extra $$$, so I bought one . I have the rockler table with a triton router (dedicated) - When not in use, I keep a piece of OSB that I use to cover the top. This allows me use the surface to support other tools. It makes a great surface for my mortiser, Leigh D4, Leigh FMT, Spindle sander, etc. I also have a 3 hp shaper... but it is not a very practical machine if you are still acquiring equipment.

A dovetail jig is a good investment. I, however, do not use mine as much as I thought I would.

I would go for the router table. In my case I bought the top. Woodhaven for me. I like how precisely their insert fits into the table and their insert plate adjusters. I then built my own cabinet and fence. I built the cabinet because I just plain enjoy building shop furniture. It is kind of nice to walk into your shop and see some of your finished woodwork!

That is my thought.

-UtahAV
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hartnett View Post
    1. You can build a nice router table cheaper than you can buy one. There are any number of sources for plans -- or just make something up.
    2. Learn to hand-cut dovetails, much more satisfying and you won't have to mess with complicated setups.
    3. Ah, a nice plane. This is something you can't easily make yourself. Buy it!

Just my $0.02.

Kevin H.

I love it when somebody else types exactly what I would have said.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Exactly what Billy and Kevin said!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

thanks everyone....any other thoughts?

I'm with Billy, Kevin, and Brian. If you like to build cases and furniture,building your own router table gives you and excellent chance to hone your skills just a little bit more. I am in the process of built the router table that was featured in the latest issue of WOOD. It is a lot of fun and is coming out really nice except for a few minor rookie mistakes. The dovetail jig would be nice, but I would make sure that you have a plan to use it. I really want one but am waiting for the right project to get one. The plane is something that can be used on just about every project. It will definitely get its use. Let us know what you do.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sodja View Post
    .... It is kind of nice to walk into your shop and see some of your finished woodwork!

-Mark
    Or in my case to be able to lock the shop so no one else can see it

After just getting slammed trying to precisely set my router bit height in the table, I'd make sure you end up with some way to make easy fine adjustments with your router table. Rotating the router body in the fixed base then setting the clamping lever sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    I'm with Billy, Kevin, and Brian. If you like to build cases and furniture,building your own router table gives you and excellent chance to hone your skills just a little bit more. I am in the process of built the router table that was featured in the latest issue of WOOD. It is a lot of fun and is coming out really nice except for a few minor rookie mistakes. The dovetail jig would be nice, but I would make sure that you have a plan to use it. I really want one but am waiting for the right project to get one. The plane is something that can be used on just about every project. It will definitely get its use. Let us know what you do.

Chuck
    I agree, BUT if a huge drawer build in your near future, do yourself a favor and get the jig. Also think Phillip is right on your choice of planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sodja View Post
    I would go for the router table. In my case I bought the top. Woodhaven for me. I like how precisely their insert fits into the table and their insert plate adjusters. I then built my own cabinet and fence. I built the cabinet because I just plain enjoy building shop furniture. It is kind of nice to walk into your shop and see some of your finished woodwork!

I am considering the Veritas router table. Its small, but I like a lot of the features of it, not the least of which is the ease of changing routers, and the steel top. I would probably build a stand for it that can multitask in my shop.
    I have a couple block planes, a shoulder plane, a low angle jack and a number 4 smoother. i am considering a low angle jointer.

decisions, decisions....
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 08-26-2009 at 10:17 AM.