Thread: advice on sandblasting

Glinda Fabok Guest

advice on sandblasting

I have been asked to engrave by sandblast on a large sign in granite and they want to know if it is possible to get a smooth flat look on the bottom of letters they want almost a half inch deep and at least 1.5 inches wide. Is it? I get a smooth look at about a quarter inch but the deeper the cut the more round and pitted the bottom looks. Any advice?

Blog Entries
    I imagine if you go back after the rough cut-in with a smaller blaster you could get fairly close, but it would be a time sink.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

They make routers for stonework, but they are serious money.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

This is done with waterjets all the time. You also end up an uneven bottom. The trick is to fill the bottom with a color matched leveling solution/adhesive. Contact your professional stone tool supply company and thay can point you in the right direction. You can even use a contrasting color for a unique look.
    Jack

I work alot with sand blasting, and yeah half an inch is kinda deep and you might end up with uneven Bottom it would be rounded, you might get away with it by using a small Finer blaster tip To finish it up like Dan said but yeah it would take along time to get it done