Thread: Delta 13" Planer Dust Shute Gripe

Delta 13" Planer Dust Shute Gripe

I've had a Delta 13" planer for about four years now and I've never been happy with the dust chute design. The 4" hose port is mounted on one side of the chute and as a result the suction on the opposite side isn't the same. It gets clogged very easily when sending two pieces through at once or planing down 1/16" off too wide a piece of wood.

Anybody experience this same problem? Maybe I need a dedicated shop vac attached to it. It's now in-line with my dust collector system.

I hear the DeWalt 13" planer has a better design.

This is a know problem. Take the dust chute off and getly pull apart at the center of the side that goes to the planer. This opens up the opening about an extra inch or so in the center, making it less likely to clog. When you screw it back down it will compress back some but it will be a little wider. I have not had an issue of mine cloging since I did that.

I don't have any issues with the 22-580 with a 1 1/2 hp dust collector. Dust collection with a 1hp dust collector was only so so. A lot of extra chips which ended up getting compressed into the wood by the rollers

~mark

I have the 13" Delta connected to a 1HP dust collector and have never had any problems. Are you using a 4" hose? Stepping it down with a reducer can lead to clogs.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by David Perata View Post
    I've had a Delta 13" planer for about four years now and I've never been happy with the dust chute design. The 4" hose port is mounted on one side of the chute and as a result the suction on the opposite side isn't the same. It gets clogged very easily when sending two pieces through at once or planing down 1/16" off too wide a piece of wood.

Anybody experience this same problem? Maybe I need a dedicated shop vac attached to it. It's now in-line with my dust collector system.

I hear the DeWalt 13" planer has a better design.