Thread: Attaching self-made drawer handles

Attaching self-made drawer handles

I am building a dresser, and I want to put ebony pulls on the drawers. I know how to make the actual handles, but how can I securely attach them to the drawers? If you know of a website with a pictorial, that'd be great. I'm very much a picture guy. Thanks for your help.

Hi Matt,
    probably it's depend what kind of handles are going to make. With wide base and enough room to drill a small size holes through drawer front to handle, or just enough to glue handle to surface?
    Or it will be a very delicate type of handle?

if the wood is dense and hard enough i will drill and tap the holes to receive the 4/20 hardware bolt that is used on commercially made handles. on handles where the wood is soft i will drill and tap the holes first and than squirt a load of CA glue in the hole than follow it up with a second tapping. this hardens the threads to give the bolt a sturdy bite.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

I have seen commercially made wood handles that had threaded brass inserts epoxied into the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by sean m. titmas View Post
    ..if the wood is dense and hard enough i will drill and tap the holes to receive the 4/20 hardware bolt that is used on commercially made handles. ....
    I do this too.

However, the standard machine screw for handles is 8-32, not 1/4-20.

You can also attach them with 1/8" brass rod epoxied into the handle and the drawer front. depending on the pull I either drill one or two holes in the back of the handle, I then insert a short length of rod that is ground to a point to act as a center finder. The next step is either to make a simple jig or lay down some blue masking tape on the drawer front so the points don't scratch and line up the pull where you want it. I then press down on the pull and drill holes where the marks are.
    I then cut brass rod to length and roughen it up a bit with sandpaper and glue in place with 5 minute epoxy. I usually figure out a way to clamp the handle in place and after about 30 minutes remove the clamp. You might have a little squeeze out, I find it is easiest to clean it up with a sharp chisel while it is still kinda soft and rubbery.
    Tom

Simplest approach is to make the handles with a 3/8" peg at the base. Drill a 3/8" hole, press in, glue, and cut off the excess. This is the way traditional shaker knobs were attached. See my WK-1 shaker knob here for a visual:

http://www.horton-brasses.com/store/...bs/shakerstyle

This method has worked for hundreds of years, it is cheap, and its easy.

Tapping the wood is tough-the screws can tear the threading pretty easily. An alternate approach I would recommend is to drill a straight hole (no tapping) and use a very coarsely threaded steel screw. We use a M6 coarse machine screw for our wood knobs.

Threaded metal inserts work best, but they are a bit pricey and I can imagine they might be a pain to install well.

To take it one step further on Orion's idea would be to use a wedged tenon instead of a tenon that is only glued. If you make the handle with that 3/8" protruding tenon, slice it lengthwise before installation and after inserting it in the 3/8" hole, glue and drive a wedge into the split tenon. When the glue is dry, cut the tenon flush with the inside of the drawer.

To clarify: Traditionally the peg/tenon is made from the same piece of wood as the handle. Wedging is a great idea.