Thread: Lighting In the Cold...

Lighting In the Cold...

I have a workshop that is not heated all the time b/c I dont get in there everyday...I live it Ohio...It gets cold.

I am looking at getting the HO 8' Lithonia Lights from the Brog.

My Questions...Is that the best way to go? Do you guys know where I can get reflectors to bring the light back down? I have 14 feet to the rafters that are exposed and I really dont want to light the rafters.

The cheaper ones come with them, it appears they can be added on.

Any info is greatly appreciated,

John G

I once used white tileboard ripped to about 12" and screwed to the light body above the tubes. Super reflective, blocks almost all uplighting, and relatively cheap, I think it's about $10 for a 4x8 sheet. It's official name may not be tileboard, it's 1/8" masonite with a thin slick white coating on one side, in the local HD it's by the paneling.

I bought 8' HO fixtures from a lighting supply house that came with them. Much higher quality than anything I looked at at the BORG and they weren't that much more expensive. Lamps are the expensive part--and I'm going to probably have to relamp in the not to distant future (coming up on 6 years.) I'm just going to bite the bullet and do them all at once.

I have the HO's in my garage work great alway light quick even in the cold, they are on the expensive side however. Purchased at one of the borgs.

The new T8 units are claimed to work down to zero they are cheaper and more efficient than the HO's. Don't know about you but I don't spend much time in the shop at zero (just long enough to turn the heat on, then back in the house for awhile).
    Thank You
    Ed

I just installed T8s with GE "sunshine" bulbs, great light. A little expensive, as you said. I think each 8' unit was around $55 with bulbs, but the T8s are vastly better than the old T12s I had, ESPECIALLY when it gets a little cold.

The T12 lamps are being phaed out by the government so I would only buy T8 lamps. There is a lot of variety in the lamp types to fit any application or personal preferance.

I'm up in Saskatchewan...it gets colder.

Add another vote for T8 bulbs, which automatically come with electronic ballasts. These are typically good down to 0 degrees F. You want ones with a sound rating of "A".

As for the bulbs, I like a colour temperature of 5000K, with the highest CRI easily obtainable. A CRI of 86 is easy to find, but apparently some Home Depot stores in the USA carry the Philips tl950, which has a CRI of 98.
    Last edited by Chris Friesen; 08-26-2009 at 7:35 PM.

Thanks for all the input...One more question...If I get the best T8 fixture from the borg, that will do? Or should I look for a lighting warehouse?

Thanks Again,

John G