Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Iron...

Old Iron...

In my search for a drill press, I found someone an hour away who is selling some really old ww machinery. Probably from the 40s to the 60s...

The drill press is a Walker Turner... there's no model number just a serial number (1-944)... Assuming its in good shape (as I havent seen it yet), what would be a fair price for this?

He also has an old Dewalt bandsaw which was also labeled as a Boice Crane. Is there any telling what size this would be? Again, assuming it was in good shape, what would a reasonable price be?

Thanks

Andy

Andy,
    Take a ride and go visit the seller. Sit and swap stories and while you do check out the tools and make sure they are what you want. Find out their history. See if they came from somewhere they would have been used hard or if they've had a relatively easy life. If you're happy with what you find and you have a yearning to own a slice of Americana, the price won't be too high. Most sellers are aware we can all buy perfectly good imported tools brand new for relatively low prices. If he likes you and feels like the tools are going to a place they will be appreciated, you will probably come to an agreeable price. Two "Dont's". Don't buy an old tool just for the sake of an old tool. Make sure it will do the work you want. Don't offer the first price. Let the seller do that. Good luck.
    fmr

Walker Turner made light "home shop" machines in the 30s, then industrial machines and lighter duty machines from the 40s to the 60s. In general, "driver line" were lighter duty, but even these have more cast iron in them than a shopping cart full of Home Depot drill presses. I'm not sure about that model number but if it's a 900 series, that's an industrial model.

Some used a proprietary bearing size that is no longer made, though there is an old iron fan who sells reproductions. As with any old iron, look for broken castings, missing parts, and washing machine motors. Check the chuck for quality (I believe they were all Jacobs) and damage, quill for slop and check runout if you have the technology. Also take a look at www.owwm.com for more information. The belt guard was optional into the 50s, and it's usually not present.

Price depends on condition, I'd pay around $100 for a benchtop in good condition, more for a floor model, or great condition, less otherwise.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 08-26-2009 at 9:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Sowers View Post
    In my search for a drill press, I found someone an hour away who is selling some really old ww machinery. Probably from the 40s to the 60s...

The drill press is a Walker Turner... there's no model number just a serial number (1-944)... Assuming its in good shape (as I havent seen it yet), what would be a fair price for this?

He also has an old Dewalt bandsaw which was also labeled as a Boice Crane. Is there any telling what size this would be? Again, assuming it was in good shape, what would a reasonable price be?

Thanks

Andy
    I have a few Boice Crane tools, and as far as I know, there is NO association with Dewalt.

Does that press have a big ROUND base? If so thats a 900 series press and they made a bunch of them. They are good machines but parts for them are on the scarce side. Yeah, they all used that same serial number. See what I mean:

The quill bearings I think are pretty standard, the bearings used for the splined shaft that rides the stepped pulley are not and are very expensive and difficult but not impossible to source. Checking the machine for runout would be a good thing to do before you buy it. Now if he is asking 50 bucks, buy it anyway cause its worth way more in parts than that. Other than the runout issue, condition is everything. Peruse the machines over on the mothership, aka owwm.com and you will have a better idea what to look for: http://www.owwm.com/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=808&tab=4

Yeah, that confused me too... what he specifically said was

"The band saw is a Dewalt sold by Haven Tool Co in SanFrancisco. It also says Boice Crane. It is on a sturdy stand."

After doing some searching last night online I think I found what this bandsaw might look like (although I havent confirmed this with the gentlemen selling this).

856-B.jpg

It appears to be on the small side (12" according to the info at OWWM). Which is probably not really what I'm looking for... I will probably pass on this one as I dont have space in my two car garage shop for extra tools.

Bob, I think that's the one! Although I can't be 100% sure because he didn't post any pictures of his tools. According OWWM this is a benchtop model. I was really looking for a floor mount press. I guess I could build a small dedicated "bench" for it, but I was hoping not to for space concerns.

There's another guy who is much closer to me selling a Delta/Rockwell press. It's probably from the 70s I would guess, I'm going to try to check that one out today or tomorrow, I might end up going with that one instead...

I should say that I'm not explicitly looking to buy an older machine. Instead, I was just looking to get a good reliable drill press for my shop for not a lot of money.

Driver tools are extremely light weight,bronze bearings,etc. Not anything you'd want today. The later Walker Turner machines are very heavy duty,much better than Delta of the same period.

Bob, I think that's the one! Although I can't be 100% sure because he didn't post any pictures of his tools. According OWWM this is a benchtop model. I was really looking for a floor mount press. I guess I could build a small dedicated "bench" for it, but I was hoping not to for space concerns.

There's another guy who is much closer to me selling a Delta/Rockwell press. It's probably from the 70s I would guess, I'm going to try to check that one out today or tomorrow, I might end up going with that one instead...

I should say that I'm not explicitly looking to buy an older machine. Instead, I was just looking to get a good reliable drill press for my shop for not a lot of money.

Andy
    The only difference between the floor models and the benchtop is the length of the column and the size of the base. Otherwise they were identical. These particular machines are not considered "Lightweight" nor are the driver line machines "Lightweight". I advocate old machinery to folks, though I know its not everyones cup of tea.

The Rockwell presses of about 15-20 years ago are good machines. Pretty well built and parts are easy enough to come by. I sold a variable speed version for around 400 a couple of months ago. I replaced the bearings in it for around 20 bucks total (if you don't count the arbor press I bought to do it). Besides bearings, there is not that much to go wrong with these machines. Is a personal preference, but I recommend people consider Old "ARN" over and above new imported stuff.

Thanks Bob...

Do you recall offhand just how heavy the 1-944 WT press is? The guy selling his has said he can no longer help move it... I will only have my wife with me this weekend, so if its beyond what can be handled with simple moving items (moving dolly, etc), I will have to consider that also. I dont think this would be a big problem, but just wanted to check for sure.

If it's a benchtop, it will likely weigh in the neighborhood of 100-150 lbs. depending on size. It could be more if it's a big industrial head mated to a short column.

It's much more manageable to move if you remove the head. Remember that the head will still weigh a lot, and when you loosen it it will want to drop like a rock. I find the best approach is to lay it on its side with the head on an old towel, then pull the column/base out of it.

George is right that the 30s driver line machines were "value engineered". However W-T continued to use the Driver Line name on high quality ball bearing machines in the 40s and 50s. The quality ones are obvious, you won't mix them up.

Thanks Bob...

Do you recall offhand just how heavy the 1-944 WT press is? The guy selling his has said he can no longer help move it... I will only have my wife with me this weekend, so if its beyond what can be handled with simple moving items (moving dolly, etc), I will have to consider that also. I dont think this would be a big problem, but just wanted to check for sure.
    If its a fullsize machine its actually easier, they designed the round base to make it easy to tilt and roll it. A benchtop version? Maybe around 100 lbs or so. Should be able to do it with your wife. You can break it down a bit, but I dont think it would be necessary. Good luck, post some pix if you get it and say hi over at owwm.org.

I just found out it *IS* a full size press . In fact, he took a few pictures for me today. It looks like its in very good condition for being ~75yrs old. Here's one of them...

press.jpg

Not shown here, but you were right Bob, the base is circular.

Also, here's a picture of his bandsaw... interestingly, its not anything like the one I found earlier online:

bandsaw.jpg

Anyone out there familar with this one? It sits upon a large wooden frame which also houses the motor.

Anyway, I'm trying to setup a visit with him on Saturday when I planned on being in the area anyway...

Wish me luck!

Awesome foot pedal with the DP. I wonder if its orig?

Do a search in the BOYD forum at OWWM for similar DP's and BS's of that type to get a rough estimate of what they are going for.

I would say ~250 for the DP. Maybe less. I picked up a Delta 220 for 200 in similar condition, FWIW.

Interesting BS. It doesnt look like any WT or Dewalt. Might be a BC, though.

It looks like a metal/wood saw, as evidenced by the step pulley.

Let us know.

Edit**

Looks like this could be it.

http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=9468

Last edited by Alex Shanku; 08-27-2009 at 8:03 PM.