Thread: Murphy Bed Side Cabinets Finished at Last - Hooray

Murphy Bed Side Cabinets Finished at Last - Hooray

Greetings and Salutations,

Hooray, just in the nick of time I got these cabinets finished and in the room.
    Tomorrow is the start of rice harvest and I am going to be tied up for quite some time first with hauling rice then it will be soybeans so will not have much shop time for the next 6 to 8 weeks.
    At first there wasn’t much need to worry about when I got them finished but it seems that our granddaughter is going to be staying and going to school here for the next coupe of years. So all of a sudden we needed storage space and quick.
    I am happy to have them done to this point and they are usable with the only thing left to do is installing crown and base molding. That can be done after harvest. LOL
    Over all I am pretty pleased with the outcome of this entire project. I hindsight I would make a couple of changes.
    The first would be to adjust the bed to make it higher off the floor when opened, second I would make the case for the bed deeper so as to be able to handle a headboard shelf and by doing that I would be able to make the cabinets deeper and then one of or even both could have a clothes rod for using with hangers.
    The way it is now the cabinets are about 2 inches shallow for using clothes hangers

I am very happy with the way the old leaded glass doors worked on this project and how it adds to the look of the whole bed and cabinet combo.
    I have enjoyed making this and as I said I have made a number of notes so that the next one ( which I am sure there is going to be, I have lots of relatives) I can improve on the over all function of the bed and cabinets.

DSCN18842009-08-23-145601.jpg DSCN18862009-08-23-145631.jpg

DSCN18872009-08-23-161656.jpg DSCN18902009-08-23-162828.jpg
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

Gene, the leaded glass certainly "made" this project. You had a lot of work into it, and it turned out very nice, but the glass was the icing on the cake. Excellent!!

I'll second the leaded glass puts the finishing touch on the project.

Great job from start to finish Gene!

Gene -

This has been a great project and your work is excellent - well done!!

Excellent outcome, Gene. Where does one get leaded glass as I may have a secretary-book-shelf coming up that may require it. I am just not a glass man and comments from anyone would be appreciated even though I suppose I can call around to the locak glass companies.

Very nice...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Excellent outcome, Gene. Where does one get leaded glass as I may have a secretary-book-shelf coming up that may require it. I am just not a glass man and comments from anyone would be appreciated even though I suppose I can call around to the locak glass companies.

Very nice...

Hi John,

These particular leaded glass doors were gotten by my wife from an old house in Ohio. We are not sure but think that they are in the neighborhood of 90 - 100 yrs old. The original size of the doors was actually too small to work on these cabinets and my first problem when I she wanted me to use them was how to get them to fit. What I ended up doing was making a outer frame, a picture frame so to speak, that I put around then entire door and that allowed me to keep the original perspective. I had posted in a different thread and took several suggestions from other members which was a great help in the design of this entire cabinet.

As to were to get leaded glass from you question, I haven't got a clue.

I know that a number of arts and crafts people make them, my mother before she passed away was doing some of that and really enjoyed.
    And to think it only took me 2 weeks 26 hours and 43 minutes to get that top flat.

Thanks Gene.. I may contact some of the local antique shops here as I am sure they will have a lead on those that can produce leaded glass. Interesting how you handled the pieces you had. Pretty clever IMO.

Regards...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler