Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two serving trays

Two serving trays

Attached are pictures of two serving trays I completed recently. One is octagonal with curly bubinga laid in an eight segment sunburst with a walnut border and walnut sides. The banding is commercial.
    Tray-30.jpg
    Tray-31.jpg

The back is laid with claro walnut in an eight segment sunburst. What looks like a circle in the walnut on the back is just in the veneer. Laying it in a sunburst made it look like a circle. When you look at it in person, you don't see the circle - it only seems to appear in photographs.
    Tray-31b.jpg

The other is a rectangular tray with walnut burl laid in a four way match, with a walnut border and walnut sides. It's banding is also commercial. The back was laid in regular walnut.
    Tray-32.jpg
    Tray-33.jpg

I rubbed the lacquer on the main panels to a glass finish so it was hard to get the pictures because of reflections but I think you can see them fairly well.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-27-2009 at 1:38 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike both are beautiful......are the burls solid stock or veneered

BTW very nice joints
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Very nice Mike.
    Excellent job on the veneer as always.

Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    Mike both are beautiful......are the burls solid stock or veneered

BTW very nice joints
    The panels are all veneer. The only "solid" wood is the sides. The substrate is 1/4" MDF.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Too pretty to use!

Mike,

I've seen and admired a number of your pieces here on the Creek. I've just got a "commission" to make an ottoman tray.

Is there an other post where you have more detail on the assembly methods? I'm especially curious about how you capture the bottom. Do you allow for movement or can you glue to the bottom because you use MDF? Do you use any reinforcement on the corners? What would you do differently if the tray sides were a good bit taller?

Thanks,
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Serving trays

Mike,
    I'm in the process of a cherry tray. What were the overall dimensions of the rectangular tray? Your proportions look good.

Very nice! The octagonal veneer sort of looks like flower petals (rose-ish).

I'd like to experiment with a sunburst veneer pattern at some point.

Mike

Mike that is truly nice work.I have bookmark your website and visit it often,lots of nice work and love the carving---Carroll

What can I saw but WOW!!
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Dan T Jones View Post
    Mike,
    I'm in the process of a cherry tray. What were the overall dimensions of the rectangular tray? Your proportions look good.
    The rectangular tray is 20" x 14" outside dimensions. The low part of the sides are 1.5" so they stick above the base of the tray by about 1".

If I recall, the handle sides are 2.25" or 2.5".

I used to make the sides higher but this client insisted on low sides - and I like it! I'll continue to use those low sides in the future.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Wow, those are sweet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    Mike,

I've seen and admired a number of your pieces here on the Creek. I've just got a "commission" to make an ottoman tray.

Is there an other post where you have more detail on the assembly methods? I'm especially curious about how you capture the bottom. Do you allow for movement or can you glue to the bottom because you use MDF? Do you use any reinforcement on the corners? What would you do differently if the tray sides were a good bit taller?

Thanks,
    Let's see if I can think of issues I encountered. To make the bottom, draw a circle on your base material, then use dividers to step off eight sides. Mark the landing points of your divider, then draw a straight line between adjacent landing points. That will give you your octagon.

For an eight sided tray, the joints will be 22.5*. Since you have twice the number of sides as a rectangle, the angle is half of the 45* you'd have for a rectangle.

The thing I was concerned about was putting the sides together and getting them lined up, and not having them fly apart when I clamped them. I used those small FF biscuits that PC makes. I cut the slots on my router table and described how I did it here (see last post in thread).

I used MDF for the bottom of the tray so I'm not worried about expansion and contraction. I cut a groove (to fit the bottom) in each side piece (I actually cut it before I slice the pieces for the sides - it's just quicker). I go up 3/16" from the bottom to the groove. I used to use 1/4" but I find 3/16" is strong enough. This captures the bottom and holds it fine. No need to glue it. However, it can "rattle" so when you do your finishing, I make sure some lacquer (which is what I use) gets into the groove from the bottom to glue it in and stop the rattle.

But finish your tray panel before you glue the sides on, especially if you're going to rub out the finish. It's soooo much easier.

I can't think of anything else but ask away if I forgot something. I have a few pictures of the process but I wasn't taking enough to document it (I just took enough to show the client I was working on the project). Ask and I may have a picture if you have specific questions.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-27-2009 at 6:08 PM.

Mike,
    You will have to make matching coatsers because these are too nice to set a drink on!! Joking aside, those are beautiful. There si a whole lot of veneer work in creating the veneer patterns on those. I hope the owners of them appreciate the craftsmanship that went into making them.

Jim

Very nice!