Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut Slab Table Finished!

Really wonderful execution. Congrats; you should be proud.

Drew, that is really beautiful!!!

I have a question about securing the top to the base. Did you simply just screw the steel plate to the top from the underside? Also, are you worried about it being top heavy?

Thanks!

Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Awesomeness! I like how subtile and simple base is not drawing attention away from the top.

That top will simply grab you and not let go, Drew. That is one beautiful slab you got hold of. Excellent job and concept...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Alex,

I send you a PM a while back with the info about where I got the slab, costs and etc. Check your private messages and if you didn't receive it, let me know, I will try again.

drew.

ahh, thanks drew. I just didn't connect that PM with you. I am as bad with names on forums as I am with names in real life apparently...
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Yes the top is secured with screws - I made the screw holes bigger than the screws in order to accomodate movement of the wood. Although in CA the temp and humidity don't change that much so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The base is pretty heavy, 2x6 rock maple and 1/4 in. Steel plates. It weighs almost as much as the top. Total weight of the table is probably 150 lbs or more. I measured a lot of different bases and found most to be about 24 " wide to support a 36" table. It feels pretty sturdy but I wouldn't want anyone to sit on the edge of it.

Great job! The natural edge is a nice touch.