Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for comments on Transpower Table Saws

Question Looking for comments on Transpower Table Saws

I would appreciate it if anyone who has had experience with Transpower table saws to comment upon that experience. I am considering purchasing the TSC-10HK cabinet saw (with a replacement fence from Accusquare).

The saws are made in Taiwan by Mao Shan (www.maoshan.com) who make a lot of machines that are rebadged for various companies worldwide. For example in Canada the saw is distributed by Toolex and in Australia it is distributed by Carbatec.

By the way, rumour has it that Mao San make some (maybe even all) of the General International tools

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    My comment is Power Matic!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    My comment is Power Matic!
    Too expensive! (and probably too good)

I had originally planned to populate my new shop with a top-of-the-lie cabinet table saw such as a Powermatic 66 (in my case, the saw was likely going to be a General 350), but my plans have changed. Now, I plan to utilize a Guided Saw/Router system and use a table saw as an auxilary piece of equipment. I still want that auxilary saw to be good (not great) , I want it to have good dust collection, and I want it to be 240 volts.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Frank,
    Said it before its the Hand not the tool! You've aready shown you don't need "too Good".
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Too expensive! (and probably too good)

I had originally planned to populate my new shop with a top-of-the-lie cabinet table saw such as a Powermatic 66 (in my case, the saw was likely going to be a General 350), but my plans have changed. Now, I plan to utilize a Guided Saw/Router system and use a table saw as an auxilary piece of equipment. I still want that auxilary saw to be good (not great) , I want it to have good dust collection, and I want it to be 240 volts.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Frank,
    I have seen a few of them, I went to the distributer in So. Cal.....not very impressive! Quality was poor.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Frank, try to find a way to actually see that saw before you buy, given it's not a well-know or well-distributed product. You may be able to get a similar machine and deal with one of the "house brands" at your Canadian tool stores, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Frank.....As stated by Jim.....don't "buy a pig in a poke"! I did and I have some real regrets.....I wouldn't do it again. You want to see it....test drive it if you can! Measure it!.......Even if it's a secondary tool.....money ill-spent is still money ill spent!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Frank

I'm going to the Woodstock Wood Show on the Friday. I'll let you know if I see any there and who's carrying them.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Evans
    Frank

I'm going to the Woodstock Wood Show on the Friday. I'll let you know if I see any there and who's carrying them.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. Of course, in Woodstock the saw will be branded as Toolex. I expect that Dave from "The Sawshop" will be there demonstrating the saw. He was at the Toronto show earlier this year but I did not pay much attention then because I had my eye on a General cabinet saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Frank, try to find a way to actually see that saw before you buy, given it's not a well-know or well-distributed product. You may be able to get a similar machine and deal with one of the "house brands" at your Canadian tool stores, too.
    Jim, I definately will "kick the tires" of any cabinet saw before I purchase it. I will also read as many reviews and obtain as many opinions as possible. That is what I am statrting tho do right now.

The Canadian "house brands" that I am checking are:

Toolex

King

Craftex

If anyone knows of any others that I should check, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Frank,
    I have seen a few of them, I went to the distributer in So. Cal.....not very impressive! Quality was poor.
    Mark, can you be more specific about the quality? The Fine Woodworking review only said that the fence was poor and I would not plan to get their fence.

Don't forget Bridgewood

Frank, take a look at the cabinets saws offered by Bridgewood/Wilke. They have their house brand, and the General. I picked up the Bridgewood 10LTS last month. Weighing in at 461#, it is built like the proverbial brick outhouse. The only negative I have found is that it has a Taiwan motor, but it does have an interlock off/on switch like the MiniMax band saws use. I don't know what the exchange rate will do to you, but the saw costs 1399 USD plus shipping.

I bought mine based upon the recommendations I have seen regarding Bridgewood/Wilke and the good quality of their products. I am told that at trade shows they set the 10LTS next to a PM66 to show that their product is competitive with the 66.

I have had it only a couple weeks, but at this point in time, I would buy it again.

Happy hunting
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Frank, take a look at the cabinets saws offered by Bridgewood/Wilke.

Happy hunting
    Thanks for the tip Ken, but there are three things that prevent me from following up on it:

(1) I want to purchase from a Canadian dealer should I subsequently need service.

(2) I want to try out the saw before I buy it.

(3) I have set a maximum of $1,500 Canadian ($1,160 US) pre-tax and shipping.

The castings were rough....the adjustments were not smooth as I remember...this was a while ago. The newer import saws like Jet have good quality...this did not.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

This posting is a blatent attempt on my part to get additional feedback on this subject. By posting to the thread, it will get moved up in the list and maybe someone who can contribute will notice it there.

So far I have heard from Mark Singer who saw these machies some time ago and did not like the quality and Dean Bielenowski who has a similar machine (branded Carbatec) from the same manuafacturer and sayes the quality is good.

I will reiterate that it is not the quality of the fence that I am interested in becuase I already know that the fence is poor.