Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: curvaceous humidor project progress

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Question on curved doors.

I see where you cold molded them. My question is did you use standard 1/4 " Luan or bendable luan or bendable MDF?
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I thought you were going to say the "small, controlled fires" were when he was smoking the cigars!
    (read it again, maybe that was the point!???)
    'Zackly .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    I see where you cold molded them. My question is did you use standard 1/4 " Luan or bendable luan or bendable MDF?
    Just standard MDF. 1/8" layers for the panels. I'll be putting a sealer on the inside of them to prevent absorbtion of moisture. The reason for using MDF is its stability. I have had plywood move very slightly under hight humidity. It was enough to warp a lid on a desk top. I can't take any chances in this application.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Beautiful work as always, Bill.

Now if only I didn't lie to my wife about that occasional cigar...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

WOW! That is just plain gorgeous. Thanks for sharing it with we lowly wood butchers who are still trying to master bookshelves and garage cabinets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Winter's coming!

As for the insurance part, I don't think the carrier will insure them against fire. Someone already tried that. They bought a load of Expensive cigars, had them insured and then enjoyed them. (Claimed they perished by fire...) The insurance paid off, then had him arrested for arson...

A humidor that size would need a HALON system in it! Real nice work!
    Dan Manning

Blog Entries
    HAHAAA If they insured them against fire, I would have a big claim. I burn every cigar I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    HAHAAA If they insured them against fire, I would have a big claim. I burn every cigar I get.
    That, I believe, is the whole idea! Wife made me give them up but still allows me one now and then on special occasions, such as holidays.

btw, absolutely love your tagline - I'm also in the CE biz and spent most of my career in sales/marketing for manufacturers of loudspeakers (Bose, JBL, Infinity,Tannoy, KLH, RSL, etc.) and high-end home theater components. Now retired but still involved with CEA as an Innovations & Mark of Excellence judge and SBC mentor and have a part-time post-retirement career as an ISF-certified HDTV calibrator. Perhaps we'll run into each other at CES?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Winter's coming!

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much. I haven't gone to CES in the last couple years due to the economy but I've built 14 MFg's demo vehicles over the years that were used at CES. I don't know if I'll make it this year or not. If you think of it, contact me before the show and maybe we can get together for a cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Thanks very much. I haven't gone to CES in the last couple years due to the economy but I've built 14 MFg's demo vehicles over the years that were used at CES. I don't know if I'll make it this year or not. If you think of it, contact me before the show and maybe we can get together for a cigar.
    Will do, you bring the cigars, I'll buy the drinks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Winter's coming!