Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new router table

My new router table

Well, I have spent the last week wrapped up in my latest project. As you all might know, or not know, I am in the process of putting together the new workshop. I am starting from scratch and am building everything myself. Well I got my cabinet carcasses done and it was time to start on the doors and drawers when I decided that I need a router table. Luckily the latest issue of WOOD Magazine had plans for one. As you all may of may not know is that I am in a wheelchair, so I had to modify the plans slightly. I took it upon my self to cut out six inches from the table height. Instead of the 36 that it was, mine is about 30, the same as everything else in my shop. It has proved to be just about the right height for me.

Things went pretty good for me. There were a few first for me with this project that included making drawers, sheet laminating, putting in a router table insert, and a lot of actual routering. It was all a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the whole process.

There were also some things that did not go so well for me. You cant see it in the pictures, but there is a slight bow to the sides. I realized half way into my glue up for the cabinet portion that my dadoes were a little tight. It was the ones that were for the drawer separators. I was using 1/4" MDF and I almost didn't get the thing together. I also got bit is the a** by my old reliable plywood. This is like the sixth sheet of this that I have used. Great stuff!! All of them have been exactly 3/4", except this one.. I was cutting my 3/4" dadoes and something told me to measure the ply,..... 23/32"!!!! So needless to say they were a bit sloppy. I shimmed those up with some business cards. Worked out pretty good. And the last and bigest thing that almost put this whole project in the burn pile, was when I decided to mount the router. I have a 3 1/4HP Freud FT3000VCE. When I got it, it already had the insert drilled for it. So I screwed the insert to the router and set it in the table............. The router was too big for the area between the drawers!!!!!!! Luckily I was able to take off one of the side of the handles to make it fit, but let me tell you, it is one tight fit!!!!

Well it has been a fun project. I still need to give it a final sanding and a coat of Tung Oil. I will probably get that done this weekend. This is just ne of the first and there are many more to come. Let me know what you guys think!! Take care.

Chuck

IMG_3333.jpg IMG_3331.jpg IMG_3336.jpg IMG_3338.jpg IMG_3340.jpg
    Last edited by Chuck Isaacson; 08-29-2009 at 12:38 AM.

Nice job, Chuck. That's a good looking router table.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Router table

Excellent job Chuck!!!!! I really like how you brought it all together.

One word of advice. Be careful not to accidentally drop your router when lifting it out of the table. Those phenolic Russeaou inserts may break off a corner or two.

DAMHIKNT!!! If it does happen, super glue is your friend until the replacement arrives.

Regards,

John

Hello,
    The router was too big for the area between the drawers!!!!!!! Luckily I was able to take off one of the side of the handles to make it fit, but let me tell you, it is one tight fit!!!!
    Sort of the same thing happened to me when I mounted my Freud 1700.
    I hadn't planned on taking the handle cover off, but as i was trying to work it into the recess, the handle just broke away and fell off.

Inside, under the handle, was the little white "anti theft" strip Lowes had put there! Then when they put the handle back on, they busted off the plastic. Grrrr..

Anyhow - looks good!

Router Table

I too looked at that design. I am in the process of making mine. I thought the center opening was a little small so I made the drawers smaller and only put them on one side. Just an idea. Seems to work fine!
    Ellen

Chuck,
    Very nice work. I am glad the plan change worked well.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Great job, Chuck, and excellent save on the fitting of the router. BTW, you are going to love the Freud. It does a great job, and I like the above the table changes. Of course, for your situation, I don't know if that will be as convenient. But, it looks like you are able to have good visibility of the top of the table and it should do fine.

Looks awesome.

Do you think you might enclose the bottom shelf to keep out the storm of router dust?

Very nice job Chuck! I really like the layout of the table. Tell you something else........you're an inspiration to me. I've read your posts in the past. When I have middle aged aches and feel a case of grumpy setting in, I think of you and it's back to reality for me. Major attitude adjustment for myself. Thank you!

Is that particular Frued router one of the ones that's on sale now? Do you like the router?
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Lewis View Post
    I too looked at that design. I am in the process of making mine. I thought the center opening was a little small so I made the drawers smaller and only put them on one side. Just an idea. Seems to work fine!
    Ellen
    Too late for that now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Great job, Chuck, and excellent save on the fitting of the router. BTW, you are going to love the Freud. It does a great job, and I like the above the table changes. Of course, for your situation, I don't know if that will be as convenient. But, it looks like you are able to have good visibility of the top of the table and it should do fine.
    The above the tabel changes are why I have this router. It should work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Dunne View Post
    Looks awesome.

Do you think you might enclose the bottom shelf to keep out the storm of router dust?
    The plan actually calls for some doors to be put on there, but I am actually thinking of putting a drawer down there. It would be a little easier for me to access. It is functional right now and that is what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    Very nice job Chuck! I really like the layout of the table. Tell you something else........you're an inspiration to me. I've read your posts in the past. When I have middle aged aches and feel a case of grumpy setting in, I think of you and it's back to reality for me. Major attitude adjustment for myself. Thank you!

Is that particular Frued router one of the ones that's on sale now? Do you like the router?
    So far I like router. I haveent used it much. I got it just for this purpose. The little bit that I have used it though, it is very nice. LOTS OF POWER!!!

Chuck

Hi Chuck, Good job.

Some kind of door or cover over the router compartment and a DC port out the back will really cut down on the noise and keep the tool clean and cool. even with dust collection at the fence there is going to be lots going down.
    Just a thought. Looks great. Better than mine for sure.
    C

Hi Chuck,

Your router table looks great. What kind of fence are you going to use? Keep up the good work, and keep up posted on your progress. You have a great looking shop.

Sam

Looks awesome.

I am also curious as to your fence design choice.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Nice table for a nice router. I have the same router and mine too is a tight fit. Watch out for the nice soft rubber cover on the handles, it tears easily. DAMHIKT! I managed to damage mine the first time I put it in the table. PMO!

Otherwise I am very happy with this machine.

Blog Entries
    Now that's looking good. I pulled both handles on my 5625, no harm there; they're just in the way. You may consider a large roll-out for the lower area so you can add and change organizers as required. My previously "plenty big" cabinet became full of bits, wrenches, featherboards, etc. and I have spilled over into another cabinet. If I had left some of the space more general, it could have more easily changed function with me as my needs changed. Router tables are so useful they just seem to gather accessories.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler