Thread: Renting/Borrowing shop time in CT

Renting/Borrowing shop time in CT

Good morning,

As I mentioned recently, I want to build a cradle for our first child which is due at the end of February. As enthusiastic as I am at making this project, I simply do not have the tools nor skills to make this at home. I can produce small, basic items and do handyman type stuff around the house, but furniture is beyond my skills and abilities. I was wondering if anyone knew of a community wood working shop in CT where I can try to work on this with the help of more experienced craftsman. I would hate to impose on anyone here, but if anyone is willing to let me use their shop, it might be willing to discuss it.

Thanks for the help.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Dan,
    You might try to google a woodworking guild in your area. I wouldn't think anyone would jump on this though. It would all depend on your knowlege on power tools, I am not saying that you don't, however you did not state that in your thread.
    Congrats on the 1st child.
    A flute without holes is like a boomerang that wont come back. It is a stick.
    Good luck to you and yours.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Dan... where do you live in CT? I stopped by a woodworking store in Norwalk last year and they had a shop for interested woodworkers on the second floor to come and work. I can't remember the name but it might have been one of the Woodworking Supply franchises.

Roy, I think the shop in Norwalk is part of a Woodcraft franchise (actually that part I am sure of). I think they allow you to pay for shop time, and they have classes, but I'm not sure if you need to be enrolled in a class to buy shop time? The Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking (also connected to a Woodcraft franchise) has a similar arrangement and a very good shop, but again you would need to call to see if that is open to non students or if some type of "open curriculum" mentor situation is possible. You can get info for either of these schools from the Woodcraft.com web site store locator.

The Connecticut Valley School also has its own website as it operates independent of the Woodcraft store. Great place to take a class!