Thread: Use router bit/collet after being stuck?

Use router bit/collet after being stuck?

Folks - I was using a 3/4 HSS spiral bit to make dog holes in my new benchtop, and the bit got stuck in the collet of my PC 690 router. I fiddled with it for awhile, and eventually was able to get the bit out by removing the collet/bit combo and then rapping the bit a little further in, which loosened it. Now I'm wondering, what next?

The bit shank has, not surprisingly, a score mark running around it. I can see this mark, but it is so shallow that I can't feel anything except the tiniest bit of roughness at one point. The bit was kinda pricey, and all I really got it for was these dog holes, so I'd really like to be able to finish the job. Thoughts?

The collet looks to have a mark in it, but it's hard to really see. I don't have a problem replacing it as it looks to be only a $10 item, but if it can still be used I can go ahead and finish the dog holes. As the man said in The Princess Bride, "I hate to wait".

Thanks - Ken

Nothing wrong with th bit or collet. This is pretty much an every day occurrence in all the shops I've worked in.

This usually happens because the bit was bottomed out in the collet - the collet pulls the bit down into itself a bit when tightened, and this locks them together. Try this - loosen the collet nut, slip the bit into the collet, bottom the bit in the collet, then PULL THE BIT OUT maybe 1/8" and tighten the collet. Odds are it won't jam that way, unless something else is wrong... Steve

Blog Entries
    If I could feel the score mark I would file it down and continue. As others have said; don't bottom out your bits.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

you sure that this wasn't the safety threads found in most collets these days?

With most collets once you loosen them you have to turn them a few more times and they will tighten up and you then have to loosen them again before you can remove the bit.

Thanks..worked fine next try

I still don't know what made the bit stick, but I cleaned the collet , decided that there wasn't much I could do to the bit shaft that wouldn't make it rougher, stuck it back in, and made my last few dog holes. No problems.

Thanks folks.

Ken

Blog Entries
    Good deal Ken. I just noticed that when re-reading my statement "As others have said; don't bottom out your bits" in the previous post it sounded kinda rude. Wasn't said that way ;-) Darn this sterile text environment. Glad it worked out.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler