Thread: Small garage sale gloat

Small garage sale gloat

Today my wife and I drove out to a farm auction which turned out to be nothing but junk and then stopped at a garage sale two blocks from our house. I ended up with the following purchases for a whopping $10. And check out the cool motorcycle goggles.

In the background you can see a pair of Jr.'s (Harry Strasil's) holdfasts in my workbench which I just finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I almost forgot. The one tool in there that does not look real familiar was my wife's purchase. The lady we bought it from said a gentleman told her it was used to comb out a horse's tail. We tried finding something similar online without success. Has anyone else seen one of these?

Those are old style safety glasses from the 40's and 50's Jeff, and your wifes purchase is an old time ice pick for making chipped ice. They were also used to seperate small blocks of ice from a big block back in the day when ice was peddled to homes from a horse drawn hack.
    Last edited by harry strasil; 08-30-2009 at 5:10 PM.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Jr., I knew I could count on you.

Thanks for the info. I still love the look of those glasses.

I still have a coupla pair somewhere at my shop, when I was a kid, I wore them all day long grinding and polishing plowlays and sweeps. they are not comfy. Especially behind ur ears.
    Jr.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!

I realy like the chisels, good find and realy good deal!!

http://home.rica.net/toolman/

scroll down about a quarter of a page.
    Jr.

Nice find Jeff. Yesterday I got a Yankee (North Bros.) push dirll with all but one of the orriginal fluted bitts in the handle, at an estate sale. Very good condition. $2.50. I think you did even better.

What is the make and model of the brace you got? Braces, hand drills, and breast drills are what I primarily go hunting for. But I can't resist any old woodworking tool for the right price. Starting to accumulate a few hand saws also.

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    http://home.rica.net/toolman/

scroll down about a quarter of a page.
    Jr., thanks for the link. Very interesting. I had no idea the ice industry spawned so many tools but after thinking about the fact that so many people needed ice back then it makes a lot of sense.

FYI - even though this pick is somewhat rusty, the tips are still very, very pointed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Andrews View Post
    Nice find Jeff. Yesterday I got a Yankee (North Bros.) push dirll with all but one of the orriginal fluted bitts in the handle, at an estate sale. Very good condition. $2.50. I think you did even better.

What is the make and model of the brace you got? Braces, hand drills, and breast drills are what I primarily go hunting for. But I can't resist any old woodworking tool for the right price. Starting to accumulate a few hand saws also.
    Dan, sounds like you got a heck of a deal too.

The brace says "Made in PEXTO USA" with Pexto inside of a circle. Assuming that is the company name. Model is 4010N. I am also starting to look for hand saws but have not found any yet.