Thread: Rewiring the garage - Is this safe?

Rewiring the garage - Is this safe?

The garage door opener is currently plugged to a switched light socket, which causes LOML nothing but annoyances. The switch for the light is in the hallway a good ways away from the garage. I do have an idea on how to take the opener off the switch and add a couple of florescent lights but I am not sure if this is something that should be done... Feel free to tell me I am an idiot for thinking of this.

There is another switch in the garage for the outside lights. From this box, I can source a hot wire. I can run this up the wall and to the light socket where I can source a neutral. I will then replace the light socket with a non switched outlet and use the switched hot from the light socket to add two large florescent lights to the garage. I will run this along the interior of the garage using racetrack conduit.

Given that I am crossing wires from two different circuits, Is this safe?

Thanks.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Dan,

The garage opener being on a switch is a security improvement. When you go on vacation, turn the switch off. Those who like to use remote cotnrols to open garages and burglarize homes won't be able to use a remote to open it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dan.....does the outlet have 2 sockets? Often, 1 socket is switched...the other socket IS NOT switched.

?????????????????
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Dan.....does the outlet have 2 sockets? Often, 1 socket is switched...the other socket IS NOT switched.

?????????????????
    Nope. The house was not wired for a garage door opener. It has a light bulb socket with a plug converter screwed into it. While I agree that there are some advantages to having it on a switch, it is also nice to not have the monthly "why doesn't the garage door work?" Q&A session with LOML.

If you aren't using the switch for a light in the garage, turn the circuit off, pull the switch out, use the proper wire nut and wire the 2 wires together. Put a solid plate on over the outlet. You're in business. Jim. (Oh, turn the circuit back on. )
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    If you aren't using the switch for a light in the garage, turn the circuit off, pull the switch out, use the proper wire nut and wire the 2 wires together. Put a solid plate on over the outlet. You're in business. Jim. (Oh, turn the circuit back on. )
    Very True, but I do want a switched circuit in the garage for the florescent lights.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mages View Post
    From this box, I can source a hot wire. I can run this up the wall and to the light socket where I can source a neutral.

Given that I am crossing wires from two different circuits, Is this safe?

Thanks.

Dan
    It doesn't pass the smell test. I'm pretty sure you don't want to use a neutral from a different circuit.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Blog Entries
    Have you dropped the light fixture to see if the feed comes to the light box and then goes to the switch. If so you can add a duplex outlet having one side on all the time and the other switched.

I don't believe you want to source your neutral and hot from two different locations and definitely not from two different circuits. This would present a hazard to anyone doing future work.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-31-2009 at 4:27 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

All "hot" 120v leads run from one or the other of the two legs of the 240v main feed. All "Neutrals" go to the ground strip in the box. The only issue I can see is the possibility of too much current in that "shared" neutral, but if both applications, together, don't result in a combined current of more than 20 amps or so, it "should" be OK.
    Local codes may not agree, and you will need to go by those..even if wrong - those are the controlling authority.
    To be on the safe side I would limit the feed breakers to supply only 20 amps (or rated for the size of the neutral wire) - 2x 10 amps, one 15 amp and a 5 amp, etc.

But Lee makes a good point about thinking that the circut was sead when only 1/2 of it might be.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No. Don't do it. I don't have a NEC citation for you, but it's a bad idea because the return current will flow through a different neutral than the one that runs along side the hot.

Imagine the frustration some future owner will have trying to figure out this mess. Do it right and pull a new cable for the garage door opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Those who like to use remote cotnrols to open garages and burglarize homes won't be able to use a remote to open it.
    Ken,

With modern rolling code openers that is pretty much a thing of the past.

Having said that, I always unplug my opener before going on vacation. Old habits die hard.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

Since you do want to use the switch for a light, Lee has the best idea. There will be 2 wires (3 including ground) that go from the black hot wire coming into the box, taking that lead to the switch and back to the black/hot input of the receptacle. Some receptacles have a provision to separate the 2 outlets on one receptacle, allowing you to have one for the garage door, the other one switched for your lights. Easy to do, hard to explain.
    And I agree, don't get the hot and neutral from different wires. Plus you shouldn't have to. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 08-31-2009 at 2:48 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

These question have me thinking the electric panel is not in the garage. Right? How about above the garage ceiling. Is there an access for storage? Maybe an attic light where you can steal 120 volt for the opener?
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Quote Originally Posted by James Rambo View Post
    These question have me thinking the electric panel is not in the garage. Right? How about above the garage ceiling. Is there an access for storage? Maybe an attic light where you can steal 120 volt for the opener?
    You are correct that the electric panel is not in the garage. It is probably 50' away. Above the garage are the master bedroom, master bath, and office, so not much to work from there.

I will have to open the light and see what is there.

Dan