Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Adhesion on Brass Pen Tubes

Poor Adhesion on Brass Pen Tubes

This seems like a really basic question, and I haven't seen it asked in this forum. I'm using PSI penturners CA glue, the stuff in the pink bottle. It's supposed to be gap-filling. I rough up the tubes with 400 grit paper; slather CA all over the tube; twist it on the way in; make sure the blank is wetted on both ends.

I still get a lot of poor adhesion, which usually shows up as voids or splits. Most of my recent blanks have been walnut, since that's what I have. I also experienced it on an ebony blank today.

Is there a secret to getting a good glue job? I am reluctant to start gluing up expensive blanks until I can get consistently good adhesion.

All my pens to date have been slimline, and I suspect that the extremely thin veneer on the tube makes a bad glue joint show up more than if the wood were thicker. But I'd rather get this right than camouflage it by leaving more wood.

Thanks.

I rough my tubes with a coarse grit sandpaper, usually 100 grit. I've never had any glue failures. I feel that the coarser grit gives deeper gouges in the brass tube and a better gripping surface. At least it has worked for me.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Thanks, Chris. I'll try that.

I am with Chris on this one. I use 80 grit on my tubes and quit using CA. I use 5 minute epoxy if I am doing one or two pens. More than that I use 30 minute epoxy. Never had one fail.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I was wondering about epoxy. Thanks, Bernie.

I've never used finer than 150 grit and 90% of the time I use gorilla glue. You can't turn it immediately, but I've had no problems with adhesion. That said, once you try other methods, if you're using a drill press to make the holes, you might want to check runout to ensure you're not making the hole too big even if you're using the right sized bit.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I do NOT sand my tubes and use 5-minute epoxy. Failure rate...maybe 0.5%? I like those odds.

You got alot of good advice and I would like to add my 2 cents. I too only use epoxy and have never had a failure. That was a good point about using the right bit for the tube and kit and also making sure there is no runout on your drill press which would cause a larger hole.

The other thing you mentioned about cracking. Wood such as ebony have a tendency to crack even after you have it finished. The thinner the blank the worse it gets. Good luck.
    John T.

I rough mine up with 100 grit or so and squirt 2 drops of el-cheapo CA down the hole in the blank. I then rotate the blank to coat the inside and twist the brass tube while inserting it. I have had real good luck doing this and only a few times have I had the tube come out.

One time though, I didnt "mill" out the inside good enough and glued the tube onto the mandrel! That one got destroyed getting it off the mandrel!

Larry,

While I use CA as a finish on pens, I quit using it to glue the barrels in after a couple of failures. I, too, use only epoxy for that job. No failures since I switched.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

After about 125 pens or so, here is what I have learned:

Like most woodworking projects, patience is what is needed for a good final product (especially when finishing). With that said:

- If it wood, I use gorilla glue, and wait at least over night
    - If its non-wood, use 2-part epoxy and wait at least over night

CA can be come brittle and can result in failures in either turning, or in lack of flexibility when your material expands/contracts in the future.

With that said, I will use CA for finishing (although results can vary) or occasionally when segmenting.

I hope this helps.

Note: I do also rough up the brass tubes. I use readily available sandpaper between 80-150 grit. This is a debated topic, but I think it helps. No actual experience either way though.
    Last edited by Chris Stolicky; 09-01-2009 at 6:52 AM. Reason: added note

Another switch to epoxy after CA failures, non since. I sand with whatever scrap of sandpaper comes to hand.

Pen tubes and glue!

I use 120 -150 grit, with one pass to prepare the tube. And after about ten slimlines, with accompaning CA glue failure , switched to epoxy. The blank splitting problem, especially with Ebony is most likely caused by drilling too fast and overheating the resins in the wood. There are special drill bits tat supposedly address this issue, and some even go so far as to water cool the drill. I personaly haven't tried either method, but do try to drill slower on suspect woods. The following is a short list of woods that have split on my pens. Ebony (5), wallnut (1), Olive wood (1), Pink Ivory (1), Katalox (1), and curly maple(1). while this may seem a high number of failures, I suspect that in most cases other than the ebony that it is our very dry (winter) climate that is most likely to blame. To this end, I now try to seal the blank end grain with CA before I assemble the pen.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Larry,

I switched from CA to 5 minute epoxy and was still having problems with tube adhesion. I recently switched to SUMO glue, made by Loctite, and it works a lot better. You'll need a sharp bench knife to trim away the excess glue after drying, but it does not let loose and fills gaps very nicely.

Dan

Several people mentioned both 5 minute epoxy and 30 minute epoxy. Could someone please give me a brand name for these items? Not familiar with either. Thanks

Bernie