Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poor Adhesion on Brass Pen Tubes

Any epoxy made for wood and metal and plastic works. Go to home depot or lowes and look in the glue isles. I happen to use system 3 epoxy but that is a bit more expensive but I do alot of other work that requires epoxy.
    John T.

Lots of options!

Bernie,

There are "name brand" epoxies available. (System Three is one such brand.) I've had good luck with the house brand at my local Ace or TrueValue hardware store. Recently, I needed to repair something for my in-laws and found some quality epoxy at their local Home Depot. Epoxy is not new technology and the generics seem to work quite well.

When buying epoxy, I first tried the epoxies that are packaged as a double syringe. I thought it would be easier to get equal amounts of the two parts that way. I was very disappointed and frustrated with this packaging -- it seems one component always comes out more easily than the other and trying to get an equal mixture from the double syringe is all but impossible. I much prefer the packaging in separate tubes or bottles.

HTH

West System epoxy if you will use a lot of it -- the pumps are "idiot-proof" -- just what I need!

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,110,42965

I recommend the #206 (slower cure) kit which will let you do more pens on a single mix.

These 1 ounce mixing cups are just the right size for a single pump of West System resin & hardener. I can do 10+ Sierras (5+ cap pens or slimlines) with a 1 ounce mix.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...t=2,2070,33135

Wooden Wonders 5 minute epoxy if you won't use a lot or don't have other uses for epoxy -- near the bottom of this page:

http://woodenwonderstx.com/WWBlue/NewGlueWS.html
    Last edited by Jim McFarland; 09-01-2009 at 1:41 PM. Reason: clarify pen #s per 1 oz epoxy

Epoxy

I sand the tubes and use 5 minute epoxy. I also make sure the drilled holes are clear of any chips or dust.

Steve

I did about 200 pens in the last two weeks (craft show this weekend) that were a mix of wood, acrylic, and alternative materials.. I rough my tubes with 220 grit and use 2 part epoxy.. 0 failures on this batch. Last major batch was done with Medium CA glue and I had about 15-20 failures out of 200.. Just my $0.02
    Through art we see the beauty within the common....

Interesting insight here ...

I do sand a crosshatch pattern with 100 grit.

For wood and acrylic I use JB-Kwik because it sets in 4 minutes and
    I'm turning ...

However, I've experimented with glues for pine bark and red fir bark.

I was having troubles with the bark adhering to the brass tube.

At first I thought it was the CA not sticking properly but when a blowout would occur there was bark stuck to the brass.

Tried 5 minute epoxy and the same results.

Then I tried Sumo PU glue and I've not had a failure since. I don't know if the PU is giving better and/or more even adhesion or what.

I use 100 grit to rough the tubes and medium CA glue. I have had no problems with failures.

Brand names?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Vail View Post
    Several people mentioned both 5 minute epoxy and 30 minute epoxy. Could someone please give me a brand name for these items? Not familiar with either. Thanks

Bernie
    In my opinion, the problem with most "5min" and "30"min epoxies is that they wre not specificly formulated for bonding to wood. The brand I use is "Brownells acraglas". While it does have a 4 hour cure time, It has superior adhesion to wood, and cleans up with household vineger. It is a product thatI have used for over thirty years for any number of glue ups and repairs. It has an extremely long shelf life unlike other epoxies that I have tried over the years. It has superior adhesion also. While there will be those who don't have four hours time to wait for the cure, at my advancing age I have all the time in the world. I also use gun cleaning brushes of various calibers to clean the residue out of the tubes. Good luck with your search.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Bernie,

I buy my 5 minute epoxy from a local Ace Hardware and it is there store brand. I haven't had a tube failure yet using it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

"System Three"

My 5 minute epoxy is branded as "System Three." I think I bought it at either Woodcraft or Rockler. On the label, it says it "bonds wood, fiberglass, concrete, ceramics, glass and leather." It also says "you can quickly use it to assemble jewelry and other small items."