Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plywood cutting table

Plywood cutting table

I need a run off table for my table saw and I need a table to cut 4x8 sheet goods. So I was wondering about combining them. Dose anyone have pictures of tables they use to cut plywood on? I thought I could use my table saw for support so I do not need it to be 8 feet long. I would only use it for cross cuts because I am already set up with my table saw to rip full sheets.

This is a picture from the FWW article on which I based mine.

The article was in July/August 2000 issue. I grabbed it off of FWW WWW, but darned if I can found it now. Guess the parinoia that caused me to save all of those pdfs paid off .

That picture was really all there was to go on in the article. The banquet table legs are about $16 from one of the borgs, the rest is just half laps in common 2x4s. Keep the screws low enough that you can cut into the surface of the table without hitting them. Have the legs in hand before you lay out the cross members. If you don't have them in the correct position you'll have to apply some plywood to be able to mount the legs.

Found the www that had the layout for the table (and I think refers back to FWW).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 09-01-2009 at 8:41 AM. Reason: more info

Foamboard insulation on any old flat spot.
    Make an outfeed table to match the height of your TS & when you use it to crosscut ply, just toss the foamboard on the top and cut away (just be midful of depth of cut).

I've found the banquet table legs to be a less-than-ideal solution. They start out great, but over time they get bent up. If you take a look at the banquet tables the next time you are at function at a church you'll see that its a common problem. The problem really lies in the design of the legs. All the force comes down near the middle of the arches that form the feet. The tubing is weakened there by having the uprights welded on plus its really thin to start with. My next table will probably end up having shop-made metal legs of some sort. I've been looking for a better commercially available solution, but haven't found one yet.

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

My humble suggestion is to make your outfeed table 4x4 and then make a knockdown plywood cutting deck that can sit on top of the outfeed table and table saw like Harry posted or like this

http://www.davehylands.com/Wood-Work...-Cutting-Grid/

The deck should really be 4x8 to provide proper support for plywood - even on x cuts. Making a permanent outfeed table that's this big is a waste of space. Further, the deck is designed to be cut into; an outfeed table doesn't require that.

My plywood cutting table

I have a small basement shop so I try to cut my plywood as I bring it home. The base is an old blood donor bed that was disposed of by the Red Cross many years ago. The grid is just construction plywood left over from shed. It works great especially with the DeWalt Track Saw (gloat). The cuts are near finished most times.

I don't think this will work for your outfeed table though. Too many place to catch material.
    Last edited by David Bridgeman; 09-01-2009 at 10:47 AM.

I like the insulation board suggestion Greg, great idea!

I use two sawhorses, 2ea 8 foot 2x4s, sheet of 1/2" OSB and a sheet of 1" blue foam board. I lay the 2x4s between the sawhorses, lay the sheet of OSB on top of the 2x4s, screw the OSB to the 2x4s and lay the foam board on top. I adjust the blade depth so it just clears the material being cut so I don't cut the foam too deep. When I am done I take the set-up apart and store it.
    David B

My remedy is a guided rail system, using the TS fence as a stop. Works very well for crosscut. Rail is easily installed or removed.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gooden View Post
    My remedy is a guided rail system, using the TS fence as a stop. Works very well for crosscut. Rail is easily installed or removed.
    That looks very nice! What keeps you from cutting into the table?

Actually, I do cut into the table. It's about 1/4" and at the same place every time, so it is no problem, and I knew I would when I built it.

If you have a tablesaw, and you already rip full sheats on it, why not cross cut them as well on the tablesaw?

Karl B,
    I did exactly that when I was young and in my prime but at the age 65 I have problems handling 4x8 sheets of 3/4" material on my table saw but I still do it on occasion.
    David B

I'm with you there David. If I need to rip full length I set up the saw horses. I just don't feel as though I can wrestle full sheets safely thru a spinning blade. Rarely do I ever use a full length piece of plywood.