Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Mirror

My First Mirror

Hello all,
    This is my first post in a looooong time, I thought I would share a pictue of the wife that I engraved on a HD beveled tile. I used photograv (old version) and painted the back of the mirror with white spray paint.
    Would appreciate all feedback be it + or -
    Regards,
    Sean
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
    George Burns
    There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience and that is not learning from experience.
    Archibald MacLeish

Epilog Mini 24/45watt, Corel X3

Very nice. The detail in the arch is really good. The detailing in the rocks and in her top came out well.

Good work....
    Epilog Mini 24 - 50 watt with Rotary Attachment
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40 Rotary Engraver
    Gravograph (New Hermes) M-40G Rotary Engraver with Rotary Base Fixture
    Ricoh GelSprinter GX e7700N Dye-Sublimation Printer
    George Knight DK-20S Heat Press
    George Knight DK-3 Mug Press (x2)

Corel X7; Photograv 3.03; LaserExpress, Adobe CS5.5
    Vinyl Express GRC-61 - 24" Vinyl Cutter
    And other stuff I don't know how to use

Quote Originally Posted by Sean De Gazon View Post
    I used photograv (old version) and painted the back of the mirror with white spray paint.
    Hey Sean, thought you were dead (never seem to get suprised these days ) very nice job on 'the wife' (I hope she is your wife).

No, result is very good, one thing that does suprise me is that you used white spray paint. I am guessing that you have done this in reverse to what most people do it.

All of my mirrors are painted on the back with black paint. I do my images on mirror in a positive and flipped horizontal. You appear to have done a negative image, hence the need to use white paint.

Still as can be seen from your picture, there are more than one way in which you can skin a cat. Well done!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Very good results. Try without PhotoGrav, using the latest Epilog driver's Dithering functions.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Sean

Well done. Good to have you back.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I was thinking the same as Frank... I guess it boils down to how much of the reflective material you want left when the image is done.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Great Job! I love HD tiles. Did you frame this mirror?
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Corker View Post
    Hey Sean, thought you were dead (never seem to get suprised these days ) very nice job on 'the wife' (I hope she is your wife).

No, result is very good, one thing that does suprise me is that you used white spray paint. I am guessing that you have done this in reverse to what most people do it.

All of my mirrors are painted on the back with black paint. I do my images on mirror in a positive and flipped horizontal. You appear to have done a negative image, hence the need to use white paint.

Still as can be seen from your picture, there are more than one way in which you can skin a cat. Well done!

Frank - you had me cracking up with your response. I can only afford one wife in this economy. When the mirror was completed, I put it on top of a dark background and it didn't look right so I put it up against a white background and I got the desired effect.
    Gary & Jessica- I haven't framed it just yet but I plan to do so when time permits.
    Tim- I'll try your suggestion on my next mirror project.
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.
    I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
    George Burns
    There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience and that is not learning from experience.
    Archibald MacLeish

Very Good!

Never dreamed of using white paint. May have to try that on mine someday.

Thanks for sharing
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

David, Remember you want to do that with a Negative engraved image.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Nice looking job Sean! Turned out really well.

One question- in the top of the arch, the solid white part, is that banding showing up or is that a feature in the arch?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Nice looking job Sean! Turned out really well.

One question- in the top of the arch, the solid white part, is that banding showing up or is that a feature in the arch?
    Scott- I hadn't really paid too much attention to that area. I myself thought it was a feature in the arch, however much to my dismay, after studying the photo closely (now that you picked up on it) I would have to say that it is in fact banding. I've included a low resolution copy of the original photo and those lines are not visible.
    Now I am getting a bit worried, should I call the techs at Epilog or is there another solution readily available to prevent this problem from happening again or at least prevent it from getting any worse.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    George Burns
    Archibald MacLeish

Personally I think it is more likely to have been the way in which you processed the image. There is banding which is showing up on the white areas, but if the processing has been done incorrectly, the moire pattern that you have here is a possibility.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Sean, I only brought it up because when I tried messing with mirrors several years ago, I couldn't get rid of that and I never could figure out how everyone else did mirrors without getting it. I don't know if it's how I processed them or not (not even sure how I processed them). Frank might be dead on. I don't have the machine any longer, so I can't experiment with getting rid of it. If anyone can help with images, it's the folks on SMC. There are a number of people on here who know a lot about processing images.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

On some mirror, the paint on the back side has what appears to be fine brush strokes (ridges) in it. This will also cause a banding effectin photos. I try to stick with mirror that has a very smooth painted back.

Jim
    Epilog Helix - 45W