Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radial arm saw or compound sliding miter saw?

Radial arm saw or compound sliding miter saw?

I was contimplating buying either a ten or twelve inch sliding compound miter saw or a radial arm saw. I had the option of using both these while in High School it was pretty convient. I just found a craftsmen radial arm saw on CL and it is in brand new condition. The guy is only asking 150.00. Now my question is should I go ahead and get it save up for a little bit again and then look for the miter saw, or save my money and keep looking for the miter saw. What would you guys do? I do a lot of cutting of full length construction lumber, my main building projects are still outdoor furniture. Picnic tables, benches, tables, swings, small gazebos, garden furniture are among the most popular so I would be making use of either saw. Can't remember but can you end up with the same compound style cuts from a radial arm saw? below is a picture from the ad.

Remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!

You will be pounded by those who say that the RAS is not a viable tool today. I'm here to tell ya that my 1978 C'man RAS is, and will continue to be, a part of my shop. For that reason, I have a std. compound miter saw (10") to compliment the RAS.
    Tuning up a RAS can be a daunting task. Take your time to do it correctly and you will enjoy the benefits a RAS can add to your shop.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Thanks Bill, Question for you I was just trying to find the specs on it because I was curious what the thickest piece of material you can cut is? I remember the motor on the right side and was curious what it restricted the saw to. I have to cut quite a few 4x4 beams for some of the swings/gazebos I build and was hoping it would clear and cut in one pass.
    Remember, if the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!

One of the benefits of the RAS is you can put a dado blade on it instead of using your table saw. The miter saw can't do that so +1 for the RAS.

It seems like having the dado capacity would be helpful.

I'm not entirely familar with the ins and outs of the C-man RAS but the newer models have 2 to 3 hp motors on them which should cut most anything. I'm not sure of how big of wood (height) you can cut.

Only drawback I heard on the C-man has been they have alignment issues and need to be set up often as compared to a Delta or Dewalt.

Put me down for the RAS

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    One of the benefits of the RAS is you can put a dado blade on it instead of using your table saw. The miter saw can't do that so +1 for the RAS.

It seems like having the dado capacity would be helpful.

Don
    Not only can you use a dado blade, you can attach other tools. These are not as good to use as special purpose machines, but it is possible to sand, drill, and plane effectively with a radial arm saw.

But the main difference is that you can use a radial arm saw to perform ripping operations. I know, I know, not advisable, but it can be done safely and well with proper techniques. Years before acquiring a table saw I used the radial arm saw to rip a zillion of feet of wood (maybe two zillion).

I agree on the "add attachments" comment.

One of my earliest woodworking projects as a kid (4H), my instructor had a RAS with a router attachment. Cutting v grooves, cross grain, in oak worked beautifully and quickly.

IMO, if your shop has the room for it to be stationary, I'd go with a RAS. If you see yourself needing more mobility with the saw, and don't see the tool as ever being more than a "chop" saw that can cut angles and bevels, go with the miter saw.

I really like the, RAS for the shop AND a basic mitersaw (for mobility) idea.

Miter saws can be moved more easily.

I have both. Radial saw stays put. Mine is a tad newer than yours. I gave up on keeping it adjusted for accurate cuts.

It will not cut a 4x4 in one cut. You have to turn it over.

I'd rather give up the radial arm saw than the scms.

I've got this saw - or one very much like it. The pictured saw looks to be in very good condition, and it has the upgraded blade guard installed. I also like the versatility of the RAS. It can perform all the compound miter cuts that a SCMS can, and can cross cut wider stock. However, an SCMS with a 12" blade is needed (correction for bevel cuts in 4x stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Lorenz View Post
    I have to cut quite a few 4x4 beams for some of the swings/gazebos I build and was hoping it would clear and cut in one pass.
    For a through cut, the clearance under the motor housing is 3", so this will not crosscut 4x material in one pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    I'm not entirely familar with the ins and outs of the C-man RAS but the newer models have 2 to 3 hp motors on them
    Sears is one of the leading purveyors of wildly inflated horsepower claims. The motors on these saws - older and newer - are 1 HP.
    Last edited by Jeff Bratt; 09-02-2009 at 1:21 PM.

Seeing as it won't make it through a 4x4 I'll have to pass. I cut to many thick pieces (3"+) to have to be flipping pieces over. I have the room to mount it permanently too, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bratt View Post
    However, an SCMS with a 12" blade is needed to cut 4x stock in one chop.
    This is not true, at least for my Makita LS1013. It has a 10" blade and will do 3.5" stock in one shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Reece View Post
    This is not true, at least for my Makita LS1013. It has a 10" blade and will do 3.5" stock in one shot.
    I just measured the distance from table to motor on my Craftsman 12 inch radial arm saw (with 12 inch blade) and it should easily cut through 4 inches in one pass.

OP is looking at a 10" RAS though.

Dustin
    The consensus over on the owwm.org forum is that the older Dewalts with cast iron arms (made by Dewalt and later AMF, but not so much Black and Decker) and the similar vintage Delta's (turret style) are the best machines of the breed. Craftsman saws not nearly so much (trying to be delicate in how I put this). I had an older vintage C'man and I could not for the life of me keep that thing aligned or adjusted. So I swore off RAS's a while ago.

Having decided to move over to older machinery for all my other equipment, I am going to be working on a 50's vintage Dewalt MBF after this next weekend. Its one of the older, speckled green finish machines that are considered as some of the better machines built especially in terms of repeatability and accuracy. It wont spin a 10" blade, max is 9" and most likey I will use an 8" blade with it. This is what it looks like in its present state:

Now will it do as well for accuracy as some of the new miter saws? Ask me in a month or two. I am going to rebuild it and put a Mr. Sawdust style table underneath it and align it up and see how well it works. Most likely it will need new bearings in the motor and a nice repaint. I am hoping it lives up to the reputation it seems to have. If it does, it will sit where I presently have a 12" Porter Cable CMS. If it doesn't, it will cost me 25 bucks and whatever parts and time I put into it. For me that's not a bad deal, especially since I like working these old machines. As for that craftsman you are looking at, if it were me, I would keep looking.

Really kind of "apples and oranges" in spite of the overlap in function. A miter saw will be much better if you do a lot of mitering and crosscutting where you have to keep changing the angle of the blade. Much easier on a miter saw. On the other hand, if you do primarily ninety degree crosscutting of rough stock, The RAS wins hands down. There are things you can do on both machines that you cannot do on the other. You cannot plunge cut with a RAS. You cannot mount a dado blade on a miter saw. The miter saw is easier to pack around... the RAS, better for building into a fixed bench. So you really need to think about what you will be doing. I have both and both get a workout. But I do agree with Bob that the C'man is not the best RAS. That old DeWalt on the other hand, can't be beat. BTW, Bob, be careful with those red bakelite knobs. They can be brittle and they are "hens teeth" in the truest sense of the term... almost impossible to find replacements.
    David DeCristoforo

David makes some excellent points that are very close to my own thinking on the subject. They are simply not the same tool, I have one of each and wouldn't trade either for the other or give up either. Want to cut rough 12/4 WO? SCMS is NOT the right tool. Want to trim out a room with a 3 piece crown and frieze around an octagonal bump out window? Good luck getting that done this year with the RAS. Most SCMS I have used don't even like framing lumber with a bit of twist, and I would rather cut that with a skill saw personally. My RAS weights 850# assembled, so it doesn't go to job sites.

Specifically regarding the Craftsman RAS, I have never used one that I though was worth its weight in cat poop. My Dad offered me one for free and I threatened to stop speaking to him because the price was too high! I'm not saying they can't be made to work, but I wouldn't expect much from them, and I would plan on getting REAL GOOD at adjusting them as they simply weren't built to hold their settings. Take a look at a DeWalt RAS in terms of adjustments and set screws and set screws to HOLD the set screws, then you will see what I mean. And that 3HP rating? My margarita blender draws more amps and I believe develops more power!

In any event, my RAS is a 1949 DeWalt GR42 long arm 14" 2HP (that is when 2HP was true power, not developed). I like this saw and will sell it at my funeral if you can wait till then. I have set up a few old DeWalts but am by no means an expert. I like them and would look out for one in working order. Mine was a basket case that took me two years to find the parts, assemble and wire. Not everyone enjoys that kind of hassle. If the choice is between a good SCMS and a C'Man RAS, I would go with the SCMS. In fact I did when faced with that same choice and was not sorry even though the RAS was free.

PS: the DeWalt pictured was also free though the ultimate cost in parts and sweat was not. Still a better value than the C'Man.
    Attached Images Attached Images