Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Finished my Kitchen Cabinets..

Finally Finished my Kitchen Cabinets..

Ok,

So it's been a while since I've posted, but I finished my kitchen cabinet project last year and I thought I'd post the before and afters...
    The cabinet boxes are prefinished maple ply, the face frames and door rails and stiles are poplar with mdf panels. They were sprayed with an HVLP gun using BIN primer and then finished with a couple coats of Satin Impervo.

I went with the inset doors, because, well, they look a little more custom IMHO and white since it's a small kitchen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just beautiful, John. Can you share your construction techniques?

They look great, John!

Coincidentally, I was gearing up for this project when Norm was starting to air his 9 episodes on kitchen cabinets in 2008. So, I used most of his construction techniques. I used Cabinet Planner to develop the layout and cut sheets, which worked quite well. Any specific techniques you were interested in?

Did you use the latex or the oil Satin Impervo?

I used the latex. I went on smooth and was easy to work with. It left minor brush marks but had very good leveling properties overall. I would definitely use it again. I can't properly compare it to the oil based impervo since I never used it, but the clean up of oil based paints has always been a deterent for me. According to the BenjMo salesperson, the oil will level even better than the water based stuff, but I'm planning on sticking to the latex.

Wow, that's quite a project. Was that an addition on the house, or a re-do of an existing kitchen?

Great job.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It was a redo... a major redo. That picture from the gutting was taken in June of 2007. I officially finished it in August of 2008.

great job! did you do the granite yourself as well? love the backsplash btw.

The granite was purchased locally... was going to do concrete, but ran out of time... I'm happy with the granite though.

Well done, looks contemporary and clean and makes me want to order a martini and cook a gourmet meal in there.

What I like especially:

Cabinet lighting in glass cabinet, plus inset flush doors require extra attention to craftsmanship. I also like your choices of trim & fixtures. It's not over the top modern, but it's done enough that it can attract a wide variety of buyers that definitely adds equity to your home.

What you can as optional is make a custom cabinet for the trash can that matches the rest of the kitchen. I made one that the trash can pulls out. This provides additional counter space on top of the trash can, though you do have decent counterspace with that bar seating area.

Chris,
    Thanks for the compliments.

A pull out trash can is a great idea, unfortunately, I think I'd have to replace a section of granite to get it in there. I'm probably going to add a few book shelves next to the cabinet above the sink..

Very nice John

14. That's a sweet kitchen! Congrats. I'm in the same boat - I've got half of my kitchen close to being done. Hopefully tonight I'll be sanding the last of it and hopefully moving on to finishing! I hope mine turns out as well as yours!

Love the style. The exposed/mortised hinges, flush cabinet doors, and the colors of your kitchen. Looks like a very usable space for its size.

Did you use any Floetrol with the latex? I actually just finished spraying all of my cabinet doors to give my kitchen a fresh look. I used the same latex as we used on our baseboards and crown molding... I mixed a ton of floetrol into the latex paint to thin it for my HVLP gun, but it turned out great.

The instructions provide mixing guidelines for brushing as well. Apparently it will help hide your brush marks because it slows down the dry time... so it will even/level out more like oil-based paints.

Anyway, great job. I'm jealous, although a year + without a kitchen doesn't sound too fun.