Thread: cedar waxwing

cedar waxwing

Hi All / I'm wondering if anyone has a source for a wood carving pattern for a cedar waxwing.I cannot find a pattern on this computer that I can download.
    Thanks to anyone who can help. Jim

Can't help with a pattern, but you post sure brings back fond memories. When I was a kid, I brought home a naked baby bird that had fallen from it's nest. From it's droppings, we decided that it had been fed berries by it's parents so we started feeding it choke cherries, elderberries and other stuff that was in season. The little one turned out to be a Cedar Waxwing and was a wonderful pet for many years. "Charlie" had the run (fly?) of the house but his favorite places were nestled down in my Father's curly hair as he worked at his desk or sitting on the back of a kitchen chair watching my Mom cook. He always greeted us when we came in by stomping his little feet and making his distinctive Waxwing chirps before flying to our shoulder and and giving affectinate little "earlobe" kisses. I still miss him. They are absolutely gorgeous birds!

Those who sense the winds of change should build windmills, not windbreaks.

Dave Wilson

Carol, there was a piece on a TV program I saw not long ago (might have been on Animal Planet as our birds like to watch that channel for some reason....) of a similar Cedar Waxwing that was orphaned and cared for by its human cousins. Very friendly bird and behaved like the one you describe. I've only seen them up close a few times, largely during migration when they travel with the robins.

Jim, you'll probably have to make you own pattern via tracings of drawings or photos. The shape of the cedar waxwing is similar to other "crested" birds so in the worst case, you could used one of those as you pattern and color appropriately if you are coloring it in you project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

cedar waxwing

Thanks for the info.The picture is great.I will use it when I'm painting.Great story about the bird.
    Jim