Thread: Best chuck for a Nova 1624

Best chuck for a Nova 1624

Well I recently got my Nova 1624 and have been turning away on it. So far I've created one broken tool, multiple pieces of splintered wood, and one hand injury from slamming my hand on the tool rest while trying to get a piece of wood off. So... so far I'm doing better than I expected, but I've come to the conclusion I need to buy a proper chuck and some jaws. I went to my local woodcrafters and from what they told me I would be best off going with something like the SuperNova2 (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...uperNova2.aspx) or better yet a Oneway Talon (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...lon-Chuck.aspx) or a stronghold (http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000405/2000405.aspx). So I was hoping some people on this forum might be able to help me with what would be best. I mostly intend to turn bowls (6 inches and larger), and the occasional pen, and possible other things, but the main thing I'm interested in is the bowl. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

-Stephen Saar

Stephen,
    I'd go with the Stronghold. You'll be glad you did for the bowls.

I currently have a 16" jet and have two talons. If I was going to stay with a 16" lathe, I'd get a stronghold even though my Talon with #3 jaws does everything I've asked for it to do.

I have the same Lathe and I bought the SuperNova2 chuck. I dont have any reference to other brands, but I like my chuck just fine. I have turned quite a bit so far and it works great. If you order this one you will need to get the bushing that fits the 1624 threads and use the little set screws to lock it onto the headstock. If not it will possibly unscrew itself off of the lathe when in reverse! (funny how I know all about this).

I have since bought a 75mm jaw set for it for the larger bowls. I also bought a faceplate to fit this chuck (original jaw set) and use it all the time. (almost every bowl).

Hope this helps

I have a Super Nova and a Super Nova 2, both do a nice job. Have not used any others so will not make any comments on them. Got the Super Nova 2 on sale with a set of jaws. Nice chuck for the price.

I have the Jet 1642 and was originally considering a stronghold. After quite a bit of research and reading about other experiences, I decided on the talon; actually two of them. Mr. Schlumpf loves his and might chime in later saying that he simply uses the #3 jaws for larger things. I have come across his discussions about it a couple of times. Now, I have no experience with your lathe, but what sold me beyond the price, was the weight. Only weighing 3.5 pounds, versus 8 for the stronghold, it is a lot less dead weight the lathe has to spin all of the time.

If you were going to go larger than 16", then maybe the stronghold might be a better choice. Good luck.

Any of the chucks you've mentioned are going to perform well. The Stronghold is a larger chuck than the Talon or SN2, meaning bigger holding power. The SN2 and Talon are in similar classes. Personally I like Oneway's offerings, but haven't had a chance to use a Nova chuck.

If you're interested in the Stronghold or Talon, there is a really amazing deal on Home Depot's website of all places -
    Stronghold
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    Talon
    http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

Chuck, insert, and #1, #2, and #3 jaws all for really good prices. $213.75 for the Talon, $266.25 for the Stronghold.

Edit - it seems the listings may be misleading, I can't find confirmation that these prices include jaws other than the #2. Caveat emptor!
    Last edited by Scott Conners; 09-05-2009 at 1:43 AM.

Welcome to the vortex!

Stephen,

There's not "one best chuck" for a given lathe. You have lots of quality chucks to choose from. Since you're new to turning and the use of chucks, you might want to try an inexpensive (yet decent quality) chuck that comes with different jaws for you to experiment with. On another thread, I argued against the value of multiple jaws for a chuck body, but I think learning how you might want to use a chuck is an exception. Here's a link to one such chuck set: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ce_chuck?Args= (Woodcraft has a house brand (Woodriver) chuck that is a good value. For some reason I could not find it on their website.)

Note: You don't need a chuck to turn a bowl. If I were starting out again, I'd defer my 1st chuck purchase. Learning how to turn a bowl with a faceplate and glue block is a valuable skill. Faceplates hold bowls more securely than do chucks (so they are safer) and a faceplate is more "accurate" than chuck. By "accurate" I mean a bowl blank held by a faceplate is apt to run more truly than a blank held by a chuck. This is true for two reasons: First the face plate will hold the blank closer to the head stock (because the chuck might be several inches thick). As you move farther from the headstock, any centering error is magnified. Second, as the wood of a bowl blank dries it will shrink, allowing for some flex where the chuck is held in a tenon.

If a faceplate has these advantages over a chuck, why do so many turners (including me) use them when turning bowls? Because they save time. Cutting a tenon (or a recess) doesn't take any more time than would be necessary to get a flat spot for mounting the faceplate on the blank. After the tenon's cut, mounting the bowl takes just a few quick turns with the chuck key. In contrast, the faceplate requires driving 6 - 8 screws and/or waiting for the glue of the glue block to dry.

Stephen,

One important factor to consider, actually one to avoid, are "direct" threaded chucks. The Apprentice Chuck offered by Craft Supplies, the one just mentioned, is direct threaded for 1 X 8 and has a 3/4" adaptor. The lathe you're talking about has a 1 1/4 X 8 spindle. You'd need an additional aftermarket adaptor for it to work. None of these items are cheap. Buy a chuck that has a range of adaptors available so if you change lathes, it's just a simple adaptor that's needed-not a new complete chuck.

Oneway, Nova, and Vicmarc have several adaptors available for any lathe.

Thanks for all the feedback. I hopefully will be doing some larger turnings in the future so I think I'm going to go with the Stronghold. Woodcrafters is having a sale on Monday so I'm going to pick it up then.

Thanks for all the help.

-Stephen

WC has a pretty good price on the SN2. It is plenty big enough to hold anything you are likely to turn on the Nova. I would defer getting extra jaws until you have some more experience and decide what you really need. The 25mm jaws are nice for small spindle stuff like ornaments. The Powergrip would probably hold the biggest block you could mount on your Nova.

MOst folks like what they have. I have an SN2 and a G3 with lots of jaws. I usually don't use anything but the 5omm and the 25mm jaws.
    God is great and life is good!

One thing to add, NOVA jaws fit all other NOVA chucks. They also have the Titan, a large chuck. I have a G3 and midi. Eventually I'll probably get a SN, since I have 4 sets of jaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Saar View Post
    So far I've created one broken tool, multiple pieces of splintered wood, and one hand injury from slamming my hand on the tool rest while trying to get a piece of wood off. So...
    I agree with David W., I am afraid purchasing a chuck won't cure the source of the problems. A chuck would only allow you to have more convenience options. I would suggest you to join a local AAW chapter or find some hands-on mentor first.
    http://www.woodturner.org/community/...alChapters.asp
    Chucks are not fail safe. Our chucks are not getting better with usage; but the chances of bowls flying off our lathes are reduced as we become more experienced.
    IMO, most of the brand name chucks for wood are good. Just like Ford & Chevy, they all have their fans. What holds your piece is not the crushing force of your jaws alone. Steel is stronger than wood, brutal force would only crush the tenon or split the recess. Techniques & proper usage are far more important.
    Apologize for taking this post slightly OT.
    Gordon

Stephen, I think the Stronghold is probably overkill for your lathe. Bigger isn't always better, and in fact can get in the way on small to mid-size turnings. And unless you plan to turn some big (long) hollow forms the smaller chucks (i.e. talon will hold anything within the capacity of that lathe).

Jake

Thanks again for all the responses. I wasn't getting the chuck because I thought not having the chuck was the reason for my mess ups. I can't blame the mess ups on anything other than myself, I was just asking about the chuck since I knew I was going to want one anyway, and I figured it couldn't hurt to have a little more help to offset my lack of skill. I ended up trying out the Stronghold, and I like it, but most likely I'll return it and get the SuperNova with a couple different Jaws. Eventually when I'm good enough to be turning larger bowls, I'll probably buy the Stronghold as well, but since I'm still learning I think the SuperNova with some different jaws will be more helpful to me, and a lot cheaper. Thanks again for the help.

Ohh by the way I've been looking at taking some lessons, but so far haven't had much luck. I contacted the Atlanta Woodtuners guild president to see if any of their members would be willing to let me pay them for a hour or two to go over the basics with me, but haven't heard back yet. I also just found that Highland Woodworking is having a bowl turning lesson on the 12th, so hopefully I'll be able to go to that.

Stephan,

With the proper jaws the Super Nova II can handle up to a 30" bowl. Pretty big in any body's book.

All of the name brand chuck's are good. It just boils down to what fits your needs and pocket book.

Alan