Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Tablesaw Project

Smile Ultimate Tablesaw Project

Being unemployed in todays economy bites but I like to see the sunny side in everything so my sunny side is I have plenty of time now to work on improving my shop. I have projects I've been putting off for a long time now and finally I'm making headway. Here is one of my main projects I've been working on for way too long finally nearing completion. I still plan on building a cabinet under the router side of the saw later to house my router bit collection. I hope you find the following pictures useful but if not at least entertaining.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile More pictures

More to come

Smile Still a few More

Loads of fun this

Smile Dust free zone

Tool Storage. I made the long drawers 33" in length and made wooden full extension slides following an article I have. The accurides are 24" in length.

Looks good!

I wish I had the room for a setup that big. I wouldn't even be able to stand in my shop with it, but I could oogle it from the doorway.

One question though, you don't like Dewalt tools do you?

Smile Umm

I'd say so but the main reason I have so many Dewalt tools is I used to work for the company and had deep discounts on all purchases.

I think we have a new winner for the man with the most drills!!! How many do you have in those drawers Jerry??? Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Wow - very cool. I've been looking for pictures like that for a tablesaw cabinet that's similar. One question - does the outfeed side break away, or is it one full cabinet? Well, maybe two questions. How did you mount the table saw in a way to get it perfectly flat with the table? Is it sitting on a lower cabinet with shims, or is it suspended in some other way?

Anyway, very cool project!

Jerry,
    You mentioned that you made full extension wood slides from an article you have...what is the article and is it still available? I am in the process of building a similar table saw cabinet (still designing in sketch-up) and have been thinking of the expense of slides. Your solution may be less expensive. BTW, great looking table. in pic #3 are you standing on the table or working barefoot in the shop?
    Travis

Smile

Jim,

I'm not sure how many there are exactly, doesn't matter though as long as I have enough to last me into my golden years without having to replace any.

Nathan,

The cabinet doesn't come apart. I have it mounted on adjustable legs I purchased from http://www.cabinetmaking.com/pages/hardware.htm and if you search the topic "accessories" no quotes you'll see them there. The cabinet is mounted directly to the tablesaw and side expansion wing with bolts. Here's a picture. Hopefully you see what I mean.

The top is one sheet of 3/4" MDF and one sheet of 1/2" MDF glued and screwed together and covered with Formica using contact cement.

Travis,

The article is Full Extension Wooden Slides in Fine Woodworking July/August 2000 by Christian Becksvoort. I think these slides wood work great on smaller lighter weight drawers. They work ok but even after waxing the rails they are more work to open and shut than I realized they would be, mainly because of all the tools I've loaded them down with.

Also I was standing on the tablesaw to get a better picture.

I must say I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the overhead blade guard. I followed and article by Gordon J. Sampson posted online at http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/blade_guard.pdf awhile back and as I was building it I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread until I wanted to use my tenoning jig. Then the love was lost... until I had a brainstorm and built the side sliding mechanism to move it out of the way and I have the added bonus feature of capturing dust at the router as well.

One major holdup on changing it was I didn't want to get in the path of my overhead projector. I used junk I had laying around and spent no cash at all in the redesign. All better now.

The humorous thing is, as enormous as table/cabinet that you've built, it still isn't large enough to hold all those tools!

Heh

Phil,

You're quite right, that's why I'm building a miter saw station similar in drawer space to Norm Abrams new one but completely different in a few ways that I feel are improvements. I will post pictures of it later. Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McFalls View Post
    Being unemployed in todays economy bites but I like to see the sunny side in everything .
    they've actually coined a term for your employment status FUNEMPLOYMENT. Seems like your having a ball.

14. Jerry - thanks for the info on how you mounted the saw. The pictures help for sure.

I was going to mention the overhead guard .

I also like the sleeve style router fence. I have been considering something like this. Is it annoying to have it tied to your table saw fence? I.e. are very, very slight adjustments easy enough?

Thanks!
    Salem