Thread: Need some opinions

Need some opinions

I have been working on this hollow form for a few days. I think it needs a collar and/or a finial and would appreciate your input.

It is canarywood, 6"X4". 2 coats of danish oil so far. I am leaning towards a low, almost flat collar, maybe a darker burl. My wife wants an ebonized collar and finial.

I would really appreciate some input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What the wife says!

Mark - I agree with your wife! Black would highlight the color of the hollow form. When you turn the collar/finial - take your time and take into consideration the overall height of the piece and thickness of the finial.

Good luck with it! Finials can be tricky! I've found that a simple design works best!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

the grain on that looks so cool. make it look like the one side of it is drooping down
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I agree. Really nice looking HF. If it were mine I would put a low profile collar with no finial but if the wife has spoken.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's pretty nice as it is. But you have plenty of opportunity to experiment. Just hide the glue bottle until you've exhausted your possibilities.

The wife ALWAYS knows best! In this case I agree with her...Bill..

Maybe a bead or groove and some texture?

I like the shape with out the collar or anything added. I would make a bead around the opening about 3/8 to a 1/2" from the opening or put two v grooves what ever distance apart you like but not to big and texture the band created by the grooves. This gives your eyes something to draw them to and the fingers will like the tactile feel of the texture and grooves. Next time like Steve said plan for the collar or finial.

More ideas,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

WIFE,WIFE,WIFE.

Roy
    Walk fast and look worried.

Another look!

at the finished peace would be appreaciated. Rember SWMBO.
    Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Looks like my wife called you guys and told you she was the boss. Curt's suggestion that I hide the glue made sense to me. I will make all the parts and let my wife decide. I really appreciate the input.