Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, Thredded insert stuck in Talon Chuck

Help, Thredded insert stuck in Talon Chuck

I bought a Talon chuck from Craft supply a couple of months ago and just got around to opening it today. It came with what looks like a 8x1 insert already in the chuck, but the three screws to secure the insert were in a bag. I bought a 1 1/4x8 adapter to fit my jet 1642 and unable to get the other adapter to come out of the chuck. I used to screws from the bag as jack screws in the adapter and it will not give. Now the socket head screws are stripped from apply so much torque on the provided hex key.

Any ideas of what to do? Do I just call craft supply and return it? Thanks for your help. Steve

Steve - sorry to hear of the problem with your chuck adapter! I am guessing that you have the manual for the chuck which points out where to place the Jack screws in order to remove the adapter. If you followed the directions and still can't budge the adapter - then would have to agree that a call to Craft Supply is in order as the adapter should have backed out of the housing with no problem!

Best of luck with this! Let us know what happens!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Yes, Steve, I did what the manual said and used the two rec holes to use the socket head bolts in. I was using all the strength I could to tighten them and the socket head stripped. Fortunately, I was able to get the bolts back out, but the insert seems like it is welded in.

I was wondering, does the Talon normally come with an insert, because I ordered the 8x1 1/4 adapter at the same time as the Talon, and when it arrived, it already had the smaller adapter in the chuck without the bolts installed.

Steve - when I purchased my Talon - the chuck came in a box all by itself and the adapter was separate. I was surprised to hear that your chuck came with an adapter already in it - and not the one you required! Seems strange!
    Steve

Steve, I'm wondering if it might have been one that was returned and accidently got repackaged, as the chuck is in new condition. Thanks for you concern. Steve

Steve - I know that they sell the chucks with inserts - just seemed strange that you ordered one with an adapter that you couldn't use. So.... yeah, sounds like they had a return that had an adapter in it already and passed it on to you. Sounds like a phone call is in order....
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Steve - when I purchased my Talon - the chuck came in a box all by itself and the adapter was separate. I was surprised to hear that your chuck came with an adapter already in it - and not the one you required! Seems strange!
    +1 My adapter was separate as well.

I recently picked up a stronghold package with an adapter and my adapter was also separate. Sounds like someone has already been 'playing' with yours.

I know this may sound like a stupid question Steve, but you mentioned in your original post that the 3 screws that hold the insert in the chuck were in the bag. Did you make sure that there weren't 3 more screws holding the insert into the chuck. On my Talon the three screws that hold it are inset somewhat and a little hard to tell it they're in there if you didn't stick an allenwrench in and feel them. It would certainly strip the jack screws if the insert is held in by the screws.

I'm not insinuating that you didn't check, but it's something I might do and maybe someone else might also.

BTW, my insert came in a seperate box also.

These can be a little slow going I have had to turn the jack screws just a hair on each side back and forth to get inserts out, you might also try spraying with penetrating oil.

I would bring it back and get another one, now if this was an old chuck from me or just bought as is, then I would warm the whole chuck up to maybe 60 or 70 degrees, then set the insert end on some ice, then screw a bold into the chucks insert and hit that bold from the inside end, good and hard, I'd think that would be all it takes with the jack screws tensioned, but with a new, just purchased chuck there's no need to do any of this, why would you ??
    Have fun and take care

Curt, Yes I checked with the allen key to make sure there were no bolts holding it in. I would need to get some new socket head bolts,as the ones I have are stripped.

Where would I find a bolt large enough to fit in the insert to try and knock it out? Thanks for the ideas, Steve

Insert Stuck

Steve Sounds like to me that you got a used one. I know that on my chucks if the inset has been in for a while and I want to change the insert sometime I need to lightly tap the the insert to get it start to come out. Good Luck!

I would think any good hardware store would carry 1" 8tpi bolts, but here's a link for a 3" long 1x8 bolt, that should be long enough to keep the head above the body when screwed into the insert, I think, didn't go and measure though.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#91268a916/=3lbw0u
    Have fun and take care

Thanks for the ideas. I had ordered a spare talon chuck when Hartvile started their 20 per cent off sale and it came today. The one from Hartville tool has a shiny surface and the T handle to help change the jaws. The T handle was missing from the one from Craft Supply. There was also a small amount of rust in the bolt holes. I think the one from Craft may have been used, though it looks new otherwise. Thanks again, Steve