Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Depot

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hazel View Post
    Matt
    What size pieces do you need are you looking for Red Oak? I would be happy to look thru my cut offs ect. I am assuming you will need small pieces.
    Thanks, but no thanks. I just need to scout some more, I know someone who is in possession of a planer, so I will find a real 1x12, plane it down, I'll be good to go.
    He's actually pretty willing, he would just rather not, I can get him to drive me if I really need something.
    Thanks again, but the pieces are all fairly big.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    As a matter of fact, HD is the only place you will find warped sheets of MDF.
    Not true. Dixieline in Southern Cal stocks them also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lipke View Post
    You are doing well, actually. At my Menard's store, the 2 bys stlll have branches growing out of them.
    Ha!
    At least at Menards, I feel like they're being honest with you. It's like, "Yeah, this is cheap junk. But it's cheap!". At HD/Lowes, I always feel like they're trying to cheat me by putting "lipstick on the pig".

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    I'm not sure what your issue is. All the pictures show lumber that qualifies for the designation of "select". However, "select", by itself, is not a proper lumber grade. "Select" boards are those suitable for clear coating or painting. Select grade "A" & "B" are suitablle for clear coating while Select grades "C" & "D" are suitable for painting. Of course if you want a board that you plan to stain and/or clear coat you want to buy "Select A" or "Select B".

In general, the big boxes do not sell Select A or Select B lumber. They sell Select C or Select D.

If the lumber is labeled only "Select" assume it's the lowest grade. "Selec", by itself, tells you nothing.

For a more complete discussion of lumber grading, go to: http://www.tpub.com/engbas/6-2.htm

BTW, the big boxes don't sell top grade sheet goods either--nor do they claim they do.
    But it's three 1x4's edge jointed together! that's my problem!

Away from woodworking for too long, I bought some 3/4 oak ply at HD. Last time ever. Stuff was accurately a full 11/16 thick. The other guys, the ones with the LOWESt prices, sell ply that is 1/32 undersize, and I can manage with that (even have one of those undersized router bits now), but the HD stuff twisted badly after ripping to size. Unworkable and a waste of money.

My HD carries two grades of red oak. the "Good" stuff thats wrapped in plastic and is priced like gold. and the stuff you have to go look for is what they call "Random" oak it's not with the regular oak and it's not wrapped. it is sanded 2 sides and one good edge. (Most of the time) I get this for 1/2 the good stuff goes for. I have always had better luck with this stuff then their "Good" grade. Dale
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

HD Oak

Around here, the Oak at HD is ususally 100% knot free and very straight grained. It costs a fortune, but it's very clean and for the most part machined pretty well. I'm sure their are some boards that look ugly, but overall the quality and price are both high. I won't comment on plywood or construction lumber though.

I have to agree with Howard, those are Select boards. In fact, the Red Oak and Poplar I see at HD is quite good, but it's dimensional S4S and too dang expensive for me.

You're pretty close to Austin Hardwoods in Irving, IIRC it's on Matthis right off of Royal Lane. Also try Brazos Forrest Products in Grand Prarie, they're just off of 360, Post & Paddock exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Walton View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not so lucky. When I look on WoodFinder, the closest thing to my zip code is Ceder Depot, which is wholesale only, and 27 miles away. After that, it's Rockler in Arlington (31), Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas (34), Woodcraft in Addison (35), Brazos Forest Products in Grand Prairie (35), and Wood World in Dallas (36). And since I'm only 14, my dad has to take me everywhere, and he's not too crazy about driving to anywhere except the local Ace Hardware which is about 3 miles away.
    I started out with hardwoods from home depot when I was 14.

Check and see if there are any local cabinet shops or furniture makers. Email them and explain your starting out and ask if they have any free time. You might be able to buy some boards off them, and they probably have more scraps then they know what to do with. Just be honest with the fact your a student and that your new.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    For a more complete discussion of lumber grading, go to: http://www.tpub.com/engbas/6-2.htm

BTW, the big boxes don't sell top grade sheet goods either--nor do they claim they do.
    One thing that site misses is that select has to be (I think) at least 60" long. If it isn't 60", it can't be select.

I've often run into beautiful lumber that is 4' long and sold at common prices. Only at lumber yards, of course. But for projects where I don't need long stuff, it can save a bundle.

My local HD has decent oak, maple, and poplar. But they may as well all be glued together because the price is so high nobody can afford them.

Their construction lumber isn't very hot. But it is usable in a pinch.

My Menards has some pretty nice stuff. I recently needed a cedar 1x8. Local lumber yard wanted $6 or $7 a linear food for clear, straight-grained cedar. Menards had one beautiful clear/straight board in their bin (less than $2/foot), and others that were passable for about the same price.

I've been reading this thread, and I just want to say congrats to Matt! A 14 y/o who is savvy enough to think through a project, do his (or her) homework, find this site and ask for insight - nicely done! NO WAY was I that organized at your age. Best wishes with your project and your hobby, Matt.

Regards,
    Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Thanks, Marty.
    My uncle (Bill Walton, who is on this site) is a real woodworker, so I am always asking his opinion on stuff.
    Update: I got that wood planed down, now all I need is a day that isn't wet, and that I'm actually free. Maybe thanksgiving weekend...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Walton View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm not so lucky. When I look on WoodFinder, the closest thing to my zip code is Ceder Depot, which is wholesale only, and 27 miles away. After that, it's Rockler in Arlington (31), Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas (34), Woodcraft in Addison (35), Brazos Forest Products in Grand Prairie (35), and Wood World in Dallas (36). And since I'm only 14, my dad has to take me everywhere, and he's not too crazy about driving to anywhere except the local Ace Hardware which is about 3 miles away.

Look on craigslist...bound to be people giving/selling good lumber

Depending on where you live, CL is often a great source for good lumber as someone else already pointed out. I've found some really great deals on there.

Furthermore, some of the CL sellers will sell you just a board or two if that's all you want.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"