Thread: Exterior grade wood filler

Exterior grade wood filler

The screen door at our house in IL ripped a nice chunk of wood out of the door frame during a wind storm. The hole is maybe 1/4" deep. Naturally, the tenants did not report the problem or bother to save the broken pieces. They just used longer screws to put it back together again and moved on... I want to fill this damaged area, but I don't know the best product for filling this damaged area. Any thoughts? I was thinking of Bondo, but I am not sure.

thanks,

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Dan -

I'd go w/ Bondo as long as the door frame is painted. Stained??? Can you cut out the gouge to a regular shape and patch it with matching wood?

The "wood" variety of Bondo dries white and stays in well.

Ted

I grabbed a can of Bondo for home repair and it was exactly what I needed. Thanks for the help!

Hello,
    Bondo!!!!??!!
    On a WW'ing forum!!???

How dare you!

I view things like this as a golden opportunity to be parted with some of my hard earned green for a new tool and/or gadget! .

Ok - just half kidding - but - I did repair a similar damaged area by using a Dremel and a Harbor Freight multifunction tool & a chisel. I cut away the damaged area and replaced it.

It took a little longer, but the patch (IMHO) is much stronger & should last longer.
    LOL! Plus I got a new toy!
    (well, to be 100% honest, I'd have gotten the "toys" anyhow, I just found a practical use for them)

It would probably be a better patch, but this is a house that we rent in IL, 1000 miles from my tools. Bondo only required a $1.26 2" plastic putty knife and some sandpaper from my father.