Thread: Need help choosing a planer/moulder

Need help choosing a planer/moulder

My wife and are doing some work on a cabin we bought a couple years ago. Most of the walls have a unique 1" x 10" (or possible 1" x 12") tongue and groove panels installed vertically. What makes the panels unique is a 2" beading detail only on the tongue side of the board. Apparently it was very popular in the 40's in our area, but nearly impossible to find now. A friend that flips cabins said that there is a mill about an hour away. They have a $600 setup fee and materials are quite a bit more expensive in the mountains. I'm thinking that I should just buy a used planer/moulder and a set of knives and mill the boards myself. I am thinking something like a used Jet 15" planer/moulder would do the trick. I have not been able to find the chair rail moulding and the door/windows moulding, so I could use it to make some of that too. What do you guys think?

If you just need to mill the edge, a Williams & Hussey or Shopfox moulder will also fit the bill. While they are only 7" wide, they are open on one side so that you can edge wider boards. I am using one of these and today milled 214LF of crown moulding. I used poplar and it cost me about $80 in materials plus $60 for the knives. If I had gone to Lowes and bought their stuff (pine or plastic), this would have cost about $350. I think your idea is an excellent choice and the unit will pay for itself.
    Steve

I did not realize that the W&H is open on one side. That's really good to know. Thanks for telling me. What is a fair price to pay for a used W&H?

well if your looking for a nice planer this might do you.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=19844

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice. The only problem is I would have to get rid of one of the motorcycles to fit that into the garage. Since you can't ride a planer, I think I'll have to settle for something smaller.

I kept my 1st planer, a 1980 Foley 12" planer - moulder, when I up sized to a 20" planer. I have it fitted with 2 sizes of off the shelf Asian made crown knives. Very handy, even though it doesn't see much use.

Daris, the suggestion of the W&H moulder is a good one.

You could also purchase a used shaper and power feeder to do similar work, as well as make raised panels for doors etc.

Regards, Rod.

Daris,

The WIlliams and Hussey is a great macgine. I have had one for 7 years. It gives you a lot of options moulding wise. You can put a variable spped feed motor and arc and circle jig if need be.

HTH.

Quinn

I concur with the W&H suggestions. I have an M&M molder, the predecessor to the the W&H and it is a great little machine. One advantage the M&M has is that it can make very tight arches. Uses the same knives as the W&H. I just saw a W&H for sale for around $850. If I can remember where I will post it.

I have not used the Shop Fox but it is a virtual clone of the W&H but is quite a bit cheaper. Neither of these machines comes up for sale that often.

Quote Originally Posted by Daris Bouthillier View Post
    My wife and are doing some work on a cabin we bought a couple years ago. Most of the walls have a unique 1" x 10" (or possible 1" x 12") tongue and groove panels installed vertically. What makes the panels unique is a 2" beading detail only on the tongue side of the board. Apparently it was very popular in the 40's in our area, but nearly impossible to find now. A friend that flips cabins said that there is a mill about an hour away. They have a $600 setup fee and materials are quite a bit more expensive in the mountains. I'm thinking that I should just buy a used planer/moulder and a set of knives and mill the boards myself. I am thinking something like a used Jet 15" planer/moulder would do the trick. I have not been able to find the chair rail moulding and the door/windows moulding, so I could use it to make some of that too. What do you guys think?