Thread: Lathe choices.

Lathe choices.

Any turners own a delta 46-755? Any positive or negative feedback would be great. I was offered a very good deal on this machine but I am not familiar with it.

at this site!

This Item Qualifies for
    FREE Ground Shipping!
    List Price:
    $4092.38

Our Price:
    $2449.99

Special Offer:

$2299.99

You Save:
    $1792.39
    (44%)

If your offer is below this, it just might be a deal. Good luck. Bob
    Bob Hainstock

Bumping this thread

Searched this forum but have found almost no information on the Delta 46-755X lathe. List price is $4K, average selling price for the 2HP version seems to be around $2300 which puts it square in the price range of the 2HP version of the Jet 1642. I can see an almost-brand-new one on CL that might be available for around $1300-1400; does anyone here have any experience with this tool, and a comparison with the Jet or Rikon? I'm currently turning with an old Walker Turner that just doesn't have enough horsepower or swing to handle much more than a 10" bowl. This "new" lathe would mostly be used for bowls from 6-15". Would love to have a Powermatic, but they don't seem to show up for less than $2500 ever!

TIA for any advice, I'm new to this forum but used to hang out at Badger Pond years ago and can still recognize a few folks!
    Rob

My old high school had this lathe. I went back to visit some teachers a few weeks ago and shop was of course my first stop. I brought a piece of olive and turned on one of these machines. I had turned on them before when I was in high school but didn't know as much about lathes so my opinion meant nothing at the time.

My new opinion on these lathes is rather low, it definitely did not feel like 2 hp and the worst part was that the tailstock kept slipping. There wasn't anything I could to to stop that. Also the machine is very light, I was roughing an 8" x 5" blank and it was shaking at 200. Perhaps it wasn't level right but the centers lines up so I don't think that was the problem. I ended up having one of the kids sit on the bed while I roughed it out. The whole thing just felt cheap.

Personally I'd pass on this lathe, 1300$ might be worth it but I doubt it. My general 25-200 with the bed extension was only 850$ and I'd say it would be a better buy than this lathe.

If 1300-1500 is your price range I'd think more about a the nova or the Jet 1442. Or just wait until you can buy the big jet or nova dvr.