Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brand new Grizzly G0691 - the tunnion bounces on startup

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Did you call Grizzly CS again? Or did someone from Grizzly notice this post? It seems really odd, and dangerous, that someone from Grizzly CS told you that the saw was within spec.
    I don't know. I hadn't really thought it through myself. I was worried about the quality of the cuts and long term effects of the bouncing on the guts and of course showing off the nickel test to friends. That was until I read some of the replies here and then a second person called from Grizzly who was concerned about safety, very concerned. I'm pretty well spooked at this point. Discretion is the better part as they say.

Grizzly is going to replace it. It's not feasible to repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Shannon View Post
    If something like this is going to happen it will happen to me. Poor Grizzly, they never saw it coming. As I've said, that's what you get when you take orders over the phone from anyone with a valid credit card. Well, their stuck with me now. I'm going to need a drum sander one of these days, who do you think I should pick on? I can hear them now, "You know Mr. Shannon, our competitors make some very good models. Maybe you ought to shop around some more. Or do everybody a favor and check out Craigs list."
    That made me laugh. I hope you get this resolved quickly and easily. I have been coveting that saw since it debuted. Seems like a great value, plus having a riving knife. I thought I wanted an older PM66 or UNI, but the 0691 looks like a better idea because of the riving knife. We won't mention that other "safe" saw that I can't afford (I know, 'how much are your fingers worth'...)

Frank...and that's a good thing.

We hear on the web about the one's like yours that have problems. Typically you don't hear about all the ones that arrive new and work as advertised out of the box.

Grizzley years ago had a bad reputation for quality. The company has worked hard to improve their reputation by improving the quality of their product and providing good customer service. Today Grizzly has a reputation of a good product for the buck.

But things still happen.....whether one slips through the QC process at the plant.....vibration during shipment......mistreatment during shipping...poor quality of packaging....things still happen. These things happen for all companies.

Grizzly will stand behind it and they will make it right...I'm sure.

I have no relationship with Grizzly. I own one Grizzly sander.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Glad to hear they're resolving it. I guess the only downside for you is your time... having to take another day off of work and having to spend so much time on the phone and investigating the saw's issues.

You're a patient man!! I could learn a thing or two from you!

Replacement

Glad to hear they're taking care of it. Are they also paying for the shipping of the new one and the return of your old one?

Makes me wonder how something like this slips through their QC process. Minor issues happen to all manufacturers, but what you describe is not minor. I don't see how they could miss it assuming they actually powered up the saw and let it run.

Regards,

John

John,

It was probably manufactured in Taiwan and shipped half the way around the world. It may have tested fine there and damaged occured during shipment.

On the shipping expenses.....I'll bet they cover it all.
    Ken

They are covering it all. They will send me a freight voucher on their account and I get with the local carrier and schedule the pickup. Meanwhile they sending a new saw to me after they set it up and test it. I can't ask for more than that. Obviously, it would have been better for everyone if the saw I have now had been perfect. But from where we are now looks like they are doing the right thing for me right down the line.

Making it right

That's great news!! I'm glad to see they're taking care of it without too much fuss.

Does it appear to have been damaged in shipping? I've experienced this first hand more times than I care to even think about.

I have a couple of new tools on order and this is my greatest fear. My luck is similiar to yours so I just KNOW some cranky, hungover guy at a freight forwarding yard is going to dent/drop/smash or otherwise bugger them up during handling.

I once saw a guy..... Oh, never mind.

Regards,

John

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frank Shannon View Post
    Tech support tells me there is no way to fix it and I'll just have to live with it.
    Send them a Letter that they will know is from you because it looks exactly like a Summons and Complaint. Accuse them of fraud, bad faith, and demand specific performance. Make the facts out to explain why it's fraud( ya gotta plead that with specificity). Fraud gets you trebles. Specific performance means you want them to adhere to their warranty and teke the thing back - you'll need injunctive relief.

They will have to pay a guy like me $5 - 10-Grand to make a special appearance and contest jurisdiction.

Chances are they'll replace the saw before they do that.

Hey Cliff..............Take off your lawyer suit......put your glasses on and read the other posts the OP made.

They are sending him another saw and paying the return freight on the damaged one.
    Ken

I have 4 Grizzly machines now, two purchased new and two purchased used in brand new condition. In my experience Grizzly customer service is outstanding and world class.

My advice, for whatever it's worth, is to always get the name or ID number of the CS or tech rep that you're talking with if you feel like they're giving you the run around.

Though Grizzly's machines are made, for the most part, in Taiwan and in China, they have their own tech people in some of the plants, as I understand it. I would imagine that's especially true in the ISO factories.

I think that you simply had the misfortune of receiving a bad machine (that's gonna happen with every company once in while) and a first conversation with a less than professional tech support person. Sounds like Griz is doing their part to make it right.

Their will always be folks who slam all of the Asian manufactured machines. Grizzly and other companies who offer Asian made machines to the North American market have made woodworking and metal working a realistic goal for the home shop and for major production industries. Take a look sometime at the list of Grizzly's commercial and industrial customers. The proof's in the pudding!!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

13. Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    Send them a Letter that they will know is from you because it looks exactly like a Summons and Complaint. Accuse them of fraud, bad faith, and demand specific performance. Make the facts out to explain why it's fraud( ya gotta plead that with specificity). Fraud gets you trebles. Specific performance means you want them to adhere to their warranty and teke the thing back - you'll need injunctive relief.

They will have to pay a guy like me $5 - 10-Grand to make a special appearance and contest jurisdiction.

Chances are they'll replace the saw before they do that.
    For a lawyer, you don't read very well! Read the post two posts before yours (#23)

No one knows at this time what is wrong with the saw and how it became the way it is. It could have been dropped by a trucker along the way and a casting cracked as a result. We will find out when we get the saw back.

In the meantime Mr. Shannon is getting a replacement machine as a normal course of the way we do business.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    snip

No one knows at this time what is wrong with the saw and how it became the way it is. It could have been dropped by a trucker along the way and a casting cracked as a result. We will find out when we get the saw back.

In the meantime Mr. Shannon is getting a replacement machine as a normal course of the way we do business.
    Quoted for reinforcement!! Sorry Cliff, not pointing at you. I'm sure you got in a hurry and posted before reading the entire thread. I've also been guilty of that.
    Glad that everything is working out Frank. I thought it would.
    John, I don't think it is reasonable to think that any company, Grizzly, Jet, whoever, unpacks every unit and tests them.
    Yes, there are going to be some that get damaged along the way. If there is something not mounted correctly, then that would be a QC problem. But even at that, it would seem to be an isolated case. All of the "problems" I've read about Grizzly products in the last few years have either been user error, or shipping damage. Neither of which should reflect badly on Grizzly.

Oh, and Shiraz...even though there was one snafu with the first CS person, who I bet has been retrained , this all seems to have been taken care of without your involvement!! I hope the current sales price will continue to the end of the year, or comes back as a December special. I should have enough money saved by then for my own G0691!! I'd still be interested in what you find wrong with the saw. I hope you will share with us once you have it apart and dissected. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 09-10-2009 at 10:33 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

This is a joke, right????

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Quoted for reinforcement!! Sorry Cliff, not pointing at you. I'm sure you got in a hurry and posted before reading the entire thread. I've also been guilty of that.
    Glad that everything is working out Frank. I thought it would.
    John, I don't think it is reasonable to think that any company, Grizzly, Jet, whoever, unpacks every unit and tests them.
    Yes, there are going to be some that get damaged along the way. If there is something not mounted correctly, then that would be a QC problem. But even at that, it would seem to be an isolated case. All of the "problems" I've read about Grizzly products in the last few years have either been user error, or shipping damage. Neither of which should reflect badly on Grizzly.

Oh, and Shiraz...even though there was one snafu with the first CS person, who I bet has been retrained , this all seems to have been taken care of without your involvement!! I hope the current sales price will continue to the end of the year, or comes back as a December special. I should have enough money saved by then for my own G0691!! I'd still be interested in what you find wrong with the saw. I hope you will share with us once you have it apart and dissected. Jim.
    You're really joking with this response, right?

"Quoted for reinforcement". What exactly does that mean???

I find it very telling how you phrase your response to my question about testing machines. You don't think it is reasonable for sellers to "unpack and test" what they sell. That is exactly my point. Grizzly is an importer of machinery, not a manufacturer. If they actually manufactured their tools, there wouldn't be any unpacking that has to happen.

Sure, they pride themselves on customer service, but if there were good quality control in place at the point of manufacture, the Chinese manufacturers well deserved reputation for poor quality would be a thing of the past. This approach would also help with your argument against them having to test everything they import.

ALL of the problems you've ever heard of with Grizzly tools over the past few years has been user error or damage in shipping? Really?!?!?!?

Guys, its one thing to be brand loyal, but quite another to slobber over someone.

Geez, have some self respect.

Regards,

John