Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much do you pay

On the western edge of the "midwest" (Topeka)

Hard maple $2.80
    cherry $3.80+
    all rough and you have to do alot of pile diving to find the good stuff.
    I buy from a local saw mill

S2S-1E, where every board is perfect is double those prices.

You guys make me sick. Nothing but pine is less than 6 bucks a foot in the middle of the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    You guys make me sick. Nothing but pine is less than 6 bucks a foot in the middle of the ocean.
    yea but you have koa and other woods we dream of.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    yea but you have koa and other woods we dream of.

Bob

But it's not free. Koa is not free anyways..... We can get other free wood.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    I don't live in your target area but I just bought 300bf of 1st hickory for $1.10, 1st red oak is also $1.10 1st hard maple is $1.50 I think 1 cherry was $2.00

Bob
    Bob can you PM me with the mill contact #. I would be willing to take a ride for those prices.
    Thanks
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Saar View Post
    I've haven't bought that much lumber, but I've been looking at advantagelumber.com since they have a pretty good selection, but their prices are a good bit above the prices you list. I'll have to see if I can find anything local (Atlanta) that has cheaper prices since apparently their prices aren't all that good.
    Stephen,

I am just south of you in Perry, Ga and I have many species for sale at fair prices. E-mail me or respond here so we can talk if you need wood.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-16-2009 at 8:16 PM.

I have been getting my hardwood from Hickory and Oak Sawmill in Michigan. You can check their website for prices. One thing that I notice is that there is some variation in grading and measuring. I will purchase from a place that gives me good value for the grade that I am purchasing.

Yeah Koa is nice. About 5 years ago in the big island, I bought a local branded Koa Ukelele as a souvenir because the grain looked so unique and it wasn't your average factory made instrument. (set me back 250 though)

Anyways, Austin Hardwoods prices hardwoods similar to other lumber yards in Southern California.

Hard Maple is close to $5/BF while a nice tiger, birds eye, or curly maple can be as high as $12-$15/BF.

Beech and Mahogany are priced almost identical to maple. The only decent step down in price is when you get poplar which will be $2-3/BF. Price is more expensive for the larger boards.

You know 5 years ago I was able to get a 1/2" sheet of MDF for $13.40, while now I have to spend like $20 per sheet... 5 years ago Maple was $4.49 for 8/4 and $4.18 for 5/4 and that's contractor's pricing. (I am looking at an old receipt)

Anyone know a Mill in southern california? I can imagine there should be one perhaps next to Disneyland or Staples Center that I don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Damone View Post
    A pricelist for domestic woods from a dealer in the San Francisco Bay Area.

http://macbeath.com/products/lumber/domestics.html
    Did you note that those quoted lumber packs were 48 inch lengths.
    The implication was that longer lengths would cost even more per bf.

Generally speaking, I pay about $14-19 a b.f. for mahogany, about $10 for tiger maple, about $9 for cherry, and about the same ($9) for walnut, in 100 up to 400 b.f. quantities.

But there's a caveat - these come in widths of up to 37" for the mahogany, up to 22" for the walnut/cherry, and in matched flitches (including the mahogany). Most is highly figured. I'm in NC, most of the walnut's local, the maple/cherry and mahogany are from PA.

See I was just asking local Indy guys about better lumber places. If you are in Indiana the most popular is Frank Miller Lumber near Richmond. They actually will deliver but you have to take what the send you. I hear it's good. Outside of Indy a friend found Schimd Lumber, very good prices even for FAS quality.

Those of us in the Midwest are blessed because so many hardwoods are grown and harvested in our area. So you can find small mills or local lumber companies that have a wide range of prices. As for QSWO heck all the Amish Furniture companies in In, OH, Il all use it so there are tons of sources for it. I found a Perdue Prof running a small operation on the side that will do a whole tree for pretty cheap if you can handle the volume.

On the down side you have to enjoy watching corn and soybeans grow or harvested as your local landscape. (Very flat in many parts here)

You looking for rough sawn? If so try biddergy.com. It is an online auction house that is a subsidiary company to the one I work for (Yes I am a bit biased) but they have been selling some great lumber cheap. Mostly Red Oak, Cherry and Walnut but if you pay attention you can get some great deals. I have some beautiful walnut that I got for roughly $0.70 a board foot.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-16-2009 at 8:17 PM.

I have made several purchases from Hickory and Oak. Good prices. If you can get to his shop and look through his stock you can find some great lumber. Did find a few boards in my last purchase that were 4/4 on one end and tapered to a bit thinner on the other. Still highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hallowell View Post
    I don't live in your target area but I just bought 300bf of 1st hickory for $1.10, 1st red oak is also $1.10 1st hard maple is $1.50 I think 1 cherry was $2.00

Bob

Bob,
    I don't live too far from you only about an hour so for those prices that would be worth my drive. Could you let us folks that live in western Pa. where you can acquire wood that cheap. I'm sure you are talking about kiln dried lumber of course. I"m sort of familiar with the Dubois area.

thanks
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post
    Bob,
    I don't live too far from you only about an hour so for those prices that would be worth my drive. Could you let us folks that live in western Pa. where you can acquire wood that cheap. I'm sure you are talking about kiln dried lumber of course. I"m sort of familiar with the Dubois area.

thanks
    Ben
    No problem Ben, I have allreadt answered several pm's about it. They should give me some free wood for advertising

Rorabaugh Lumber Co

Burnside, PA 15721
    • (814) 845