Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: man, computers got cheap all of a sudden didn't they?

man, computers got cheap all of a sudden didn't they?

i've been using the same laptop for about 3 years now. was an old sony vaio, which i liked for what it was, but wasn't cheap when i bought it, that's for sure. i think i paid 1900 when i got it, and for laptops under 5 pounds with over 6 hours of battery life, it was one of few choices back then.

unfortunately i dropped it and broke the side of the case open about a month ago and while it still works, i was getting tired of taking it out to the shop to blow the dust out with my compressor, so i figured i'd get a new one.

turns out i had trouble spending 700 dollars on a new HP, which is pretty much superior in every way to my old one in terms of ruggedness, keyboard, screen brightness, etc. i wound up getting one from the mid grade business class (probook) line. even the high end line was only around a thousand.

guess recessions aren't all bad, huh?

IMHO, not just recessions. Netbooks are another thing that has brought them down, as what do people use them for?

Heck, compare one of them to your old laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal Stevenson View Post
    IMHO, not just recessions. Netbooks are another thing that has brought them down, as what do people use them for?
    I sat next to a lady using a small (9" across) computer very successfully. Then I realized that her hands were half the size of mine, so the keyboard fit her well.

Maybe they should make keyboards in different sizes for different hand sizes.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

netbook keyboards & hand size

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    I sat next to a lady using a small (9" across) computer very successfully. Then I realized that her hands were half the size of mine, so the keyboard fit her well.

Maybe they should make keyboards in different sizes for different hand sizes.
    I have a 10" Asus Eee. I have small hands but had trouble with swiping the touchpad when typing. This is the first machine I've had that is exclusively touchpad-IBM/Lenovo Think Pads with the "eraser" pointer for me, thanks. Anyway, the insert point moving was driving me nuts. The lastest alpha release of Ubuntu Netbook Remix has something where the touchpad can be disabled while alphanumeric keys are in use. My frustration with wandering cursors had decreased considerably. I don't know what the time interval between the last keypress and the touchpad being active is, but I haven't noticed any lag. It works great!

The other compromise with Netbooks is screen size. Mine is around 1200X600. It's still great for portability and web browsing/light duty office stuff. Not suitable for industrial strength photo editing, CAD obviously.

I recently bought a new Dell laptop to replace my old HP. I paid roughly the same price as my old HP, but it is definately an improvement in every way possible. They even through in a Dell Mini 10v for $100. For that price, I could not refuse. I have updated it with Ubuntu Netbook Remix and is just fine for light applications. We mainly use it as a music player, in the kitchen to manage recipes, and as a travel computer. The only complaint is that the touchpad is poorly designed.
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Probably not as much to do with the economy, rather Moore's Law :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

Every 24 months, the speed doubles and the price to do the same thing cuts itself in half, basically.

It's been working since the 50's, and is supposed to continue for a while.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Computers as a whole are much more affordable. My first was $2500 and it only had 200MB hard drive lol (a packard bell many years ago...)

Last laptop I bought was $650. Its very nice.

Use to be you had to be carefull what you bought or you would get junk, but they have gotten real good and making these now.

Of course your needs dictate how much you need, but for moderate use getting a computer on sale off the shelf works just fine.

I use to build them but who wants to pay you to do that when they are so inexpensive now.

I agree, prices arent bad at all.
    One good turn deserves another

8. One of the reasons that laptop prices have dropped so much is due to the increase in volume. More and more people are buying laptops instead of desktops.

I've been the IT purchaser for my company for about 10 years. I can say that they've gotten cheaper in price AND quality.

The IBMs & Dells we bought in the 90's were like tanks. They took a long time to obsolesce, and we upgraded then based on the need for more speed, memory, and disk.

In the past 6 years, I've seen a huge decrease in quality from Dell. Motherboards, cd roms, hard disks; I've had them all fail on 2-3 yr old machines.

Nowadays computers are disposable; cheaper to buy a new one rather than fix one. Is that a good thing? Not for those landfills in China....

We just got a few of those Dell Mini's. JEEZ! Under $500 and fully stocked.

My first computer was $3,000 in 97.

The laptop I am using now is two years old and was $499. I could have spent more and almost did. Was afraid this laptop was too small.
    I have learned for my needs, a cheap one is all I need. I don't need double layer DVD drive and all that junk that goes out of date in a week.

People spend WAY TOO MUCH for a computer they don't need when basic will do.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

While a netbook isn't suitable for CAD, I think it would be suitable (albeit maybe a bit slower) for Sketchup and Cutlist type software, as well as the typical newsgroups/surfing, etc.

For those of you who don't like the touchpad, I don't often use it, just when I need something on the road. Otherwise, when I bought my Asus N10J (effectively high end netbook), I also picked up, via Ebay, a full size bluetooth mouse.

Now I have been considering getting a external moniter, and using a USB keyboard, so I can use it easily at the desk when needed. Anyone know if the screen resolution is because of the display, or due to the video card enclosed? (mine has dual video, Intel and Nvidia, onboard and switchable)

While a netbook isn't suitable for CAD, I think it would be suitable (albeit maybe a bit slower) for Sketchup and Cutlist type software, as well as the typical newsgroups/surfing, etc.
    Unless other CAD programs pull alot more, my dell notebook does pretty well running Cabnetware. The size of the monitor is the only thing I don't like about it.

Thumbs up monitor size

I hooked my netbook up to a Sony 46" LCD. I don't recall what the resolution was but it looked pretty good. VGA video, not DVI and I don't know how much video memory the Intel video circuit has. Enough for at least 1024X768.

the resolution on your TV likely isn't much larger than the monitor the netbook has, the pixels are just bigger .

Now I have been considering getting a external moniter, and using a USB keyboard, so I can use it easily at the desk when needed. Anyone know if the screen resolution is because of the display, or due to the video card enclosed? (mine has dual video, Intel and Nvidia, onboard and switchable)
    The resolution on your netbook is limited by the physical size of the display, not the chipset or the video card. I'd be surprised if you couldn't do at least 1680 by 1050 on an external monitor. With nvidia you should be able to feed correct video signal to pretty much any consumer grade monitor.

You can try and check it by right clicking on the desktop to get to the display settings. See if the resolution slider will let you go to the right towards higher resolution values. If so, this will tell you what monitors you can get with what native resolutions.

If you can't move the slider to the right do not despair. On some machines this is a software, not hardware restriction in keeping with BIOS settings instructing the OS what makes sense for the given machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Unless other CAD programs pull alot more, my dell notebook does pretty well running Cabnetware.
    I think Randal meant netbook, not notebook.
    But you're certainly correct. I buy laptops for our engineering dept. for use with AutoCAD. These aren't your budget Dell machines though.
    Last edited by Darius Ferlas; 09-10-2009 at 11:33 PM.