Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Workbenches

4:48 PM departure (Pacific Time)...I'm gettin' there, I'm gettin' there.... Just hold your horses....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    4:48 PM departure (Pacific Time)...I'm gettin' there, I'm gettin' there.... Just hold your horses....
    DON'T STUB YOUR TOE!!!!!

This is a good thread that I thought I'd revive for some folks. I'm still not sure what to do about a bench but I'm leaning towards building it myself...I have too much of a custom area for it me thinks....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris -Bench

Chris, getting in your thread late but it seems to me, you have a unique area for the bench and the only way to maximize the effectiveness is to custom build one to fit the space. If you buy a WW bench right out of a catalog it may not fit properly and you'll have issues working the vices or bench dogs. I'd also consider 2 benches: one functional made to fit the space and do most/all everyday jobs, The 2nd could be mobile and more of a proifessional WW bench for your precision work, planing, sanding etc. Being that you have a time issue, I'd build one "down and dirty" w a flat top that fits your space. The 2nd could be ordered or you could buy a top (like Sjoberg) and custom build your underpinnings . This will save you both time and $. I also like S. Allen's book and Taunton also has a helpful one. Anyway, one man's opinion...
    Jerry

Making a bench is a great project if your heart is in it and you really make it special...it will not save money though. The best buys are from Gabi at Diffenbaugh , ranging from under $1000 to about $1400 . They are the most massive ones I have seen...with big vises. A great one at under $1000 is her "German" it is a joiners bench, great for planing and hand work...it is the Frid bench basically.
    It comes in 3 sizes.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Another nice one, with the big vice , but no tail vise is the modern German...

I perfer a tail vise I am often working at that end shaping or holding a big panel..or a leg held in poppets...The tailvise gives you a linear thrust you don't get from a long vise...it depends what you get used to.. For Tyler...not really a pic though...

And of course there is , for all the patriotic woodworkers...."The Ultimate American" I bought it just for the name...oh , yes it has a tail vise

Chris, I think that Jerry speaks with good wisdom for your particular shop. Build a nice flat surface that fits in the intended "permanent" space with a nice face vice and then consider your options relative to any other bench space. You'll want mobility for anything to be used out on the shop floor, and you could use that bench for outfeed support, too, if necessary. And if the "built-in" bench (making some assumptions here...) needs to be the only bench, you can use the same thing I am to substitute for a tail vice..."Wonder Pups" from Lee Valley.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...