Thread: Incra table saw fence question?

Incra table saw fence question?

I read in a thread here that one can do 52" cuts with the 32" fence if you position the rails to start a the left side of the saw table, rather than at the far end of the left extension wing. That makes sense, but how do you read measurements in that case? To be clear, how do I measure a 40" cut, if the fence is designed for 32"? Are there different scales to account for different placements? Thanks.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 09-10-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Incra Fence

Hello Dan
    I have the Incra table saw fence. Mine is the 26" system. It was on my router table to begin with. I ordered the 72" rails and the base mount so as to put it on my table saw. I have a router on the left side so I have my rails as to reach the left side and still am able to rip about 44". If I was to move the rails more to the right I could probably rip close to 50".
    Now, yes there is a second set of scales that can be set to measure beyond your main rip of 32". You set the stops that came with your fence for your 32" cut and than move the the fence to the right and set the extra scales to the farthest measurement you can get and than set your second set of stops.
    The farther you move the rails to the right the less you can rip on the left side and the farther you move the rails to the left the less you can rip on the right.
    The second set of scales are in the channel next to the main scales.
    If you reread your manual it should tell you every thing more clearly than I just did. Hope I didn't get you to confused.

Bob

I have neither fence nor manual yet, just thinking about getting one, and wondering how that would work. I have a sliding table that displaced the left wing, and it doesn't allow room there for fence rails. There is not enough room to the right to mount the long rails without cutting off the left hand portion, so it seems the 32" would be the best bet. I'm a little afraid of multiple scales, because it would be just like me to read the wrong scale on a critical piece...

Dan

-Woody Allen-

I just did a review of the INCRA fence (photos and video at the link below) that might help clear some of this up for you.
    The multiple scales are easy to distinguish because they are very different looking. You can reposition them as needed though to make working with the fence offset to one side very eqasy and very accurate.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/incratslsrvu.html
    "Because There Is Always More To Learn"

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman View Post
    I'm a little afraid of multiple scales, because it would be just like me to read the wrong scale on a critical piece...

Dan
    And on the eighth day god created his greatest wonder, Duck Tape. Cover up the unused scale. Or, if I'm recalling correctly, just don't install it in the first place...

Dan,
    The scales slide in and out quite handily. I'd just remove the unused ones and the "main" steel scale is held in place by a magnet to you can move-adjust it in seconds.
    I love my incra stuff.

So do they have a scale that reads from 32 to 52", or do you have to add what is on one scale to the other (always fraught with peril for me)?

Jerome--- I currently have a Uni Fence, and I actually do cover up the second cursor that reads for the fence lying down in on it's side with a piece of a post it note (no residue). If I ever need that position, I just move the cover over the other one. That has worked well for me.

Tom---I'll take a look at your review.

Dan

-Woody Allen-