Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo Problem - Can Someone Take A Look??

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lock View Post
    Hi James,

Mentioned earlier in the thread the scan gap is a metric value, it's the metric equivalent to the imperial dpi. You might say its .085mm per inch is the same as 300 dpi.

Regarding the dot size. If the dot measured .005", 300 dots placed exactly next to each other would give you 1.5" so to place them at the side of each other over 1 inch they would overlap by 30%.

If you are currently using .05 as your scan gap that's the same as around 508 dpi. In this case a .005" dot size overlap would be considerable. I have found that so much overlap causes a loss of clarity in the output hence I mainly use images no larger than 300 dpi.

Like most people, when talking about images I think in terms dpi. I find it difficult to work in dots per mm or Cm or whatever it is. Thats why I use the conversion chart. A quick glance at the chart tells me what the scan gap should be for a given dpi.

Sorry if that's about as clear as mud!!

Regards

Dave.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. your explanation was very clear.
    Jim J
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Red face Some Results - Sort Off !!!

Good Afternoon All

Well, I just thought I’d let you know how I got on. I had a play about with this photo (again) and with the scan gap settings according to the suggestion made by Dave Lock (thanks again Dave).

Now I have come to the conclusion that either I’m totally useless or it’s just this particular photo .

What I have found that if I keep the photo to its original size (or smaller) it’s fine – however it’s when I enlarge it that the problem comes up. I’ve attached photos of the results done at 300 dpi, apologies for the quality (note: all size resampling was done from the original image before photograv etc...).

As you can see (hopefully) the guys face in the smaller version has more clarity to it than the larger one – this is what’s making me wonder about increase in size causing the problem. I know I have much to learn about photo-paint amongst other things .

Anyway thankfully the guy isn’t in a rush for the piece so I will have to tinker about a bit more I think.

Comments/critisms (sp). are all very very welcome
    Thanks everyone for your input so far.

Regards
    Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One in four people are unbalanced. Think of 3 friends, if they seem OK; you're the one

LS6040PRO, LaserCut 5.1, CorelDraw X4, Photograv 3

Just a resize shouldn't be doing that. What software are you using? Is the original image big enough? Can you post the original graphic? Are you doing anything else while resizing?
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-14-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    Karen,

Both times you've posted these images the differences always look like contrast changes. In this sequence, the first one looks too light for the woman, and the second is too dark for the guy. I have to ask the same as Darren... are you certain nothing else is being done to these images? No other filters have been chosen for post-processing (either graphics software or laser driver)?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Null View Post
    Just a resize shouldn't be doing that. What software are you using? Is the original image big enough? Can you post the original graphic? Are you doing anything else while resizing?
    Hi Darren

Original pic attached - I'm using Corel Photo-Paint (X4).

Firstly, I'm cropping the image to cut out most of the background then Image-Resample then selecting the size I want say 20cm width and dpi (originally) at 600; after that I've then gone to Image-Cutout Lab to take out the background then the vignette - That's It!!

The above was the same when I tried the photo at 300 dpi and each one was done from the original image (attached).

I'm ready to give up at this point - but I'm also "pigged off" enough to not let it beat me.

Karen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    One in four people are unbalanced. Think of 3 friends, if they seem OK; you're the one

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Karen,

Both times you've posted these images the differences always look like contrast changes. In this sequence, the first one looks too light for the woman, and the second is too dark for the guy. I have to ask the same as Darren... are you certain nothing else is being done to these images? No other filters have been chosen for post-processing (either graphics software or laser driver)?
    Hi Dan,
    I'm positive no other filters are being used in photo-paint and as for LaserCut, I haven't touched the driver software.

I'm now at a complete loss this is the 1st photo I've had any problems with..........so far .

Regards
    Karen

20cm width and dpi (originally) at 600
    Well there's a lot of your problem right there. If that's the original image, you're left with about 888 x 616 pixels of useable image after cropping the background.

So 20cm @ 600dpi....that's.....(wanders around muttering)...2 362.20473 pixels across needed; so your program is interpolating -making up- the extra pixels. You're asking paint to make the image 265% larger and -frankly- it's not happy with that. Anything above a 50% upsample, and you should really go with a program designed specifically for that.

I use this one, because it's free and works as well as anything, and better than most:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/imageenlarger/

So. Enlarged it (2500px across- gives you some wiggle room). Played around with the settings. Cropped out the background. Saved as a .png to keep the invisible background.

EDIT: 20cm@600dpi is !!!4725px!!! across. It was the conversion from imperial that got me. *facepalm* Update coming....
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-14-2009 at 6:54 PM.

Thumbs up

Haha that all makes sense now...... Darren I've sent you a PM and a HUGE thanks.

I'll start again......... we'll see how it goes.

More than likely I'll be back again.

Karen

Here you go:
    http://ropa-militar.com/aaa_e0.zip

It's a 79Mb tif file compressed to a 26Mb zip. No chance whatsoever of getting it on the board, hence the direct link. And while I was in there I knocked a bit off the chap's suntan so the features ought to come out more evenly.

The original was a 532% increase...no wonder the big image looked sheddy. That's pushing it even with enlargifying software.
    Last edited by Darren Null; 09-14-2009 at 3:51 PM.

10. gap question

Hello,

when you talk about gap setting.is that on the laser software itself or in corel or in some other software?
    This is somehting totally new to me so forgive my dumb question if it is one.
    Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by MR.MATTHEW ROUSE View Post
    Hello,

when you talk about gap setting.is that on the laser software itself or in corel or in some other software?
    This is somehting totally new to me so forgive my dumb question if it is one.
    Thank you in advance
    I set my scan gap with the laser software. In Newelydraw it is under the raster properties settings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

I like the first one, and lower dpi is usually better, and no, you are not an eedjit.
    I wear that particular crown.
    Crappy photo=Crappy Image.
    But I like the first one!
    It's great! Don't be so perfectionistic, if you can. Not everybody has your eye. It's a photo
    Looks good to me
    (cowers)