Thread: Dewalt 735 - Shelix Head - Initial responses

Dewalt 735 - Shelix Head - Initial responses

I've retrofitted my Dewalt 735 planer with a Shelix head that I bought off a member here.

The installation instructions are good, but you need a snap ring tool to remove some of the parts. Also, I always find getting bearings on to be nerver racking. I use the lightbulb method. Put the bearing on an incandescent bulb for about 5 min and then seat the bearing. You'll need a 1" ID metal tube to seat one of the bearings. Other than that, there's a lot of parts to keep track of. I use baggies and an indelible marker.

The cutter head works great! Way beyond my expectations. The hard maple that I just ran through looks ready to finish. I noticed some snipe when the planer bogged down a little. The finish cut took care of this.

I would definitely recommend this upgrade. The install is not for the faint hearted though.

Bearings are 6202 NSE Nachi and 6204 NSE Nachi. I purchased mine from Lynne Scott at Accurate Bearing.
    http://www.accuratebearing.com/
    800-323-6548

The bearings cost me about $11 with USPS shipping.

Ken

I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered by USPS. The speedy ones that keep you guessing where it is. Should be here in a day, or 3. I ordered it with the bearings installed.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ive installed a few bearings on my RC truck engines. Best way Ive found is to heat em up in a toaster oven (not the toast slice ovens, but rather the mini-ovens that sit on your counter)

Kenny, good to hear you got it installed and you are happy with the head, must have sat in your shop awhile, as I hardly remember shipping it out.

It is a very nice upgrade to the planer.

Jeff

Thanks for the excellent deal!!! I hadn't gotten around to installing it and didn't intend to, so I put it up for sale... at the same price.

I got a lot of interest and so I started reading through archived sawmill creek posts. I also checked out Shelix and saw that it would cost me a lot more money if I decided later to upgrade... so, heck with it. Let's check this baby out.

Wow! Really quality cuts! I can't take as much off in one pass on the rough cuts as I used to, but, the quality really makes up for it.

You are 100% correct in my opinion, this is nice upgrade.

Thanks again. Great to hear from you.

I'll post the bench i'm building soon I hope

Ken

Wink

Ken, thanks for the detailed follow-up (you may remember what my interest in this is). Glad to hear it's working for you! The only down-side is that now you're spoiled for anything less than the results you get from a Shelix.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

My Shelix was delivered today, and I got it installed on my DW735 planer. I must say I am truly impressed with it.
    The noise level is such that you can use it without hearing protection. The blower is louder than the blades cutting.
    Like Kenny said, faint of heart ought to seek assistance. It does take some mechanical ability to get it installed, but it isn't a real tough thing to do.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The most important thing to remember on the install is not to hold the head with your bare hand while you tighten the pulley nut with an impact wrench.

Kenny, I'll second your results. The wood comes through so slick and smooth, it's almost a shame to hit it with sandpaper.

I did both my 6" jointer and 13" planer. Not cheap! But, if the money's available, it's an excellent upgrade. Tremendous reduction in noise level also.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA