Thread: Trying to change planer blades on my TP400LS

Unhappy Trying to change planer blades on my TP400LS

Did anyone ever have a problem with stuck screws while trying to change the blades on their planer?

Did you do anything to resolve this when you finally got the screws out. i.e. Use lithium grease on the screws?
    And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety glasses.

Try penetrating oil. Apply it to the tip where the screw hits the knife holder, then apply it to the screw. You can probably turn the cutter head so that gravity helps the oil go into the threaded hole.

First, use a toothpick sized poker to clear out any chips or debris that may be in the bottom of the socket. If the hex driver doesn't seat all the way down and slips, you have a big job to replace it.

Next get the hex wrench to a perfect 90degree angle to the screw. The head locks in a manner which makes it difficult to maintain that perfect 90 degree while avoiding obsticles. Unlock and slightly rotate the head if needed.

Then just bear down and turn. Once they pop, it will be okay.

The biggest danger is stripping out the hex head, so taking precautions to assure a good seating of the wrench and a straight in angle and you can just brute force the bugger.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

A good bath

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Circo
    First, use a toothpick sized poker to clear out any chips or debris that may be in the bottom of the socket. If the hex driver doesn't seat all the way down and slips, you have a big job to replace it.

Next get the hex wrench to a perfect 90degree angle to the screw. The head locks in a manner which makes it difficult to maintain that perfect 90 degree while avoiding obsticles. Unlock and slightly rotate the head if needed.

Then just bear down and turn. Once they pop, it will be okay.

The biggest danger is stripping out the hex head, so taking precautions to assure a good seating of the wrench and a straight in angle and you can just brute force the bugger.

I've got two screws left to get out, I already stripped the allen wrench that came with it twice . Now I need to grind it down again. So I gave it a good bath in penetrating oil (again) and will try it again tonight.
    And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety glasses.

Hi Josh - You might getting a better grade allen wrench that will fit those screws. Also, try tapping on the end of the allen wrench a bit to loosen the screw before applying torque. Good luck.