Thread: my shop

my shop

I am not real you could call it a real shop, but it's the garage.
    I hooked up this vacuum system along the wall and put 3 blast gates, 1 by the lathe the other by the y connector and the other on the end. Put 1 Y connector, to add a hose for the sander.

seems to work well,, collects about 90 % of the dust.

Since I turn a lot of alabaster, there is a lot of dust.

let me know what you guys think

mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

stone

I was given the idea of turning stone from an article I read in wood turners magazine about a year ago, Max Krimmel, and found a guy named Steve (spike )Finch that does some amazing stuff out of stone.
    (exoticvessels.com)

and have since not turned as much wood and more stone.

please post comments

mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark, nice work.

By the way, it's a shop. Others may call it a garage, but aren't garages for storing things? Hhmm?

Couple of pointers on your DC. Your setup is ideal, but could be made more effective. It appears that your run is comprised of flexible drainage pipe. The ridges on the interior of the pipe produces turbulence, reducing the the overall performance of your DC. The less ribbed material in your DC system, the better.

As for your DC unit, it's a good one. You may however be able to make this unit even more effective AND reduce the overall footprint. There are some excellent threads on single state DC modifications.

There are, IMO, three types of DC systems. Cyclone and single stage. You, I and most others have single stage units.

The third type I call a hybrid DC. It's a modified single stage that acts in part like a cyclone. It's an ingenius design and I would not be surprised to see a manufacturer eventually offer this style of DC.

Phil Thein and Greg McAllister deserve all the credit. Here's a great thread.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Mark,

I would ditto about the drain pipe, too many small obstructions to be as efficient as it could be......

I am going to try some soapstone this winter, as I have access, to, well, a lot............ I understand this is almost all scraper work?

Good looking vessels, for sure.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Mark,

Beautiful work,
    Ditto what everyone else said, also I don't seem to see any gates at each of the tools. If you were to open up at only the tools that you use, you would get more suction.
    p.s. what is the source of your alabaster?

,,,,,,r
    Last edited by Roger Savatteri; 09-13-2009 at 6:48 AM.