Thread: Walnut dining table plans??

Walnut dining table plans??

I have a stash of walnut and am thinking about making a round dining table big enough to seat 4 people (or 6-8 with a leaf installed). Would like to find some plans that feature fairly simple construction with a pedestal-type base that I can construct without use of a lathe. I'm attaching a picture of one that WOOD magazine has plans for. Not sure whether Walnut is an appropriate choice for that one, though. Also not sure I have enough walnut for both the base and the top. I do tend to like clean, simple lines found in shaker and arts & crafts type furniture.

Know of any plans or have pictures of something you've built that might work?

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plans

While I have no plans for a table,but I think that walnut does not lend itself to shaker or the arts&crafts style furniture.When you hear those styles first thing that comes to mine is QSWO.You being the craftsman and its your project,I say use what you want.If its what you like,and I love walnut then maybe make the top out of the walnut and make the base out of something else.Using the walnut for the top maybe adding some inlay around the perimeter of the top,no inlay for the center since you will have a leaf.Do a search and then go to Mike Hendersons website(California)I think,he has lots of good ideals through projects he has made over the yrs.Good luck---Carroll

Thanks for the plug, Carroll. Just to help, you can find my web site here. I did do a walnut dining table recently but it used turned legs. If your problem is not having a lathe, I'll bet you can get someone on the turner's forum to turn them for you for a reasonable fee.

My walnut table is not a Shaker style, however.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Just visited your site Mike and very nice work indeed

Walnut is my FAVORITE wood. Make anything and everything out it if you can. Accent it with maple. Ahhhh, love the smell. Love the look. Sorry, no plans just my opinion. Ahhhh, love the smell. Oh, did I say that already? Here's my dining room table, though... It is (roughly) 4 X 8 Walnut. We commission the guy I used to work for to do it, before I worked for him. And yes it is a single slab...no glue ups.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I drink, therefore I am.