Thread: Recommendations to cut this wood...

Recommendations to cut this wood...

As posted before (and obviously nobody knew of anything there to help me, so...), I have a buddy who just got several 10"x10"x42" (those are real dimensions) pieces of what I think are black walnut. We want to cut concave shapes into these pieces using a bandsaw. So, I sold some stuff on craigslist and we're now in the market for a used bandsaw. What would cut this without a problem?
    So far, a Jet 16" bandsaw ($600), an S45 ($1000 - seems a bit high, no extras - would need a mobile base), an old Sears Craftsman (Parks?) 18" ($495), and a "butcher boy" meat band saw ($500) are within the general price range. Any thoughts? The other possibilities are getting a new G0513 or? Advice needed.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Commercial Cabinet Shop in your area.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Unless I knew ahead of time that I was going to have to do a lot of restoring (and that was acceptable) I would want to see the saw in action first before I spent that kind of money IMHO. Maybe even take a piece of the wood you have a try it to see if the saw can handle it. To succssfully cut wood that thick, you need to make sure that the saw is tuned up well and that the motor can handle it.

I use a rigid 14" band saw with an aftermarket 6" riser block and a 1 1/2 motor. It cuts through 10" thick white oak without much fuss, so I'd say that as long as the saw you get has at least 1 1/2 hp and has the capacity, then go for it.

Skip the Butcher Boy unless you also plan to process venison this fall. Sure, it'll cut it, but not terribly accurately-or safely. Were it me, I'd look really hard at the S45. That saw is in a different league from all of the others listed.

I would have to agree with Julian that a 14" witha 6" riser and a 1 1/2 HP motor should handle it (that is exactly what I have). Of course, I would also say that that is the minimum you would want. The real question here is what would you do with the BS after cutting this piece. If your answer is more of the same, I would opt for a larger saw. If it is smaller work, the 14" upgraded BS ought to suffice.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I agree with Harry...unless you are looking for an excuse to get a saw and will be doing more such work in the future, just find someone local that would be willing to help you out or make the cuts for a small fee. Tell us where you are and maybe a nearby Creeker will help.

I resaw 10"-12" all the time with my 1hp Delta 14". All you need is the right blade. I use a 1/2" 3tpi Timberwolf.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

New 14" Grizzly Bandsaw

I recently bought a 14" Grizzly bandsaw. This is the "heavy duty" 14" bandsaw with 1 1/2 hp and cast iron tires. I have it up and in use and love it so far. The total cost delivered was about $750.00 dollars including freight and the Grizzly mobile base. You miight consider a new Grizzsly vs. taking a chance on a used bandsaw. You might get a great deal on a used machine, but you might get burned. Remember there is always a reason why a used machine is on the market. Some are legitimate and some may be unloading a saw that does not perform. This Grizzly product tracked perfectly right out of the box and no issues with set up or performance.

question about S45

I went to see a S45 bandsaw today. For those who may own one, does this saw normally come with a guard?

I'm assuming that any G0513x2 owners will believe I'll be able to resaw the 10" walnut with no problems?

And, that this saw would be a good choice?

Ed

Yes, I have cut 10 to 12" walnut with no problems on a G0513x2.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

ordered it.

thanks. Based on what I see are good reviews of the saw and this recommendation, - hopefully within 3-5 business days! we'll see the saw.