Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Wish List - which, and why?

Lathe Wish List - which, and why?

OK, let's look at it again - if you could have your dream lathe, which would it be, and for what reason(s)? Mine would have to be a Stubby 750 - never seen one in person, but it looks so vibration free and stable, massive cast iron; variable speed would be a dream. Or do you already own your dream lathe? I'm waiting...Mike

I'm staying with Robust...Either one...Bill...

Oneway

My ninth lathe since 1936 is a Oneway 2416. Complete with all of the goodies. For my kind of turning I don't think there is a better one out there. A real pleasure to use and Oneway's service is just great.

Hey, I deserve the best don't I?

Wally

My dream lathe...

1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

Neal, ROTFLMAO - sue wheat lathe! Variable speed and reversing no doubt.

I have a Vicmarc VL300 that I love but when our farm becomes the newest Lowes, Target, and Movie Theatre one day, I hope to get a VB36 with all of the attachments - can't image a sweeter machine anywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Schell; 09-12-2009 at 8:33 PM.

Oneway 2436.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Here's my dream lathe...

At last February's Desert Woodturning Roundup, I got to spend some time drooling over the Serious Lathe. Over 1500 lbs of love!

Of course, part of why it's my dream lathe is that it would need to come with my dream shop! The thing's huge. But, if I had enough space for it, it would be way cool to have. So, too, would the other high end lathes already mentioned. (If I'm on your Christmas list, I don't want any of you to think I'm too hard to shop for. I'll take a Robust, Oneway, Stubby...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

David,

I'm with you on that one. Built in Wisconsin(not china), hude capacity and powerful. My dream girl!!!!

Dan

Hmmm, thats a tough question, I'm leaning towards the oneway but I do like the idea of the serious because of the weight.

I guess id have to go with the oneway with all the extra stuff.

ShopSmith, because it is a lathe, saw, toenail buffer and coffee maker all in one.

Already own mine...a Stubby 750. Everything I want in a lathe in a nice, compact, but large capacity package.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Addy View Post
    My dream lathe...

Neal,

How long have you been having these nightmares?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well, I would like one of everything please. Had a PM, great lathe. Got a Robust, again great lathe, and made in the USA. Would have liked to have tried a Nichols lathe, but he went out of business after Oneway started up. I would like a VB 36 for bowls only, not sure about the Stubby though. Never considered the Serious because it doesn't have a sliding headstock. Heard Mike Mahoney has a Vicmark with a 5 hp motor. Kind of like Bill Grumbine, I haven't met a lathe yet that I couldn't stall. Oneway looks nice, but no way to turn outboard in my shop where the lathe sits in a corner. No other place for it. Have a Jet 1220 VS for small things. I think there is some possibilities to make them better, like why doesn't it have reverse? The Concrete lathe looked interesting as well, but I woudn't want to make one. Saw a lathe with a 36 inch throw, 1 hp DC motor slapped onto some channel iron, and welded to a 1/4 inch steep plate. Worked surprisingly well. Don't think I will need or want anything beyond my Robust but if I should happen to win the lottery.....

robo hippy

I have to say that the Stubby would be just right for me. That said I would have to really think long and hard about ever spending more money than the PM3520 costs. It is so nice with such good fit and finish that I think you gain very little from spending so much more on the higher end brands.
    A stubby is however quite unique and does things other machines can't.It fits well with what I like to do and how I like to turn.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

For me I would have to look long and hard at the long bed Vic VL300. but I am so pleased with my DVR XP with my fabricated stand that It would also be hard to spend any more cash. With that being said If I had a pure bowl lathe with about a 30" swing I would be happy forever. With my DVR XP and a dedicated bowl lathe. Those 2 machines would do what ever I have wanted to do.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan Trout; 09-13-2009 at 6:34 PM. Reason: Punctuation