Thread: Can't seem to get my tools sharp

Can't seem to get my tools sharp

I recently got a Nova 1624 lathe and have been practicing turning, but so far I seem to be having a large amount of trouble with getting my bowl gouge to cut. I took a bowl turning class at Highland Hardware, and that went really well and I didn't have any major trouble cutting the wood with their tools. I came home and tried some more turning and it wasn't going well. So today I got a Wolverine grinding jig with the varigrind accessory and tried to grind the bowl gouge sharp. But no matter how I try to grind it (using an 8" pink wheel 100 grit at 3600 RPM) I can't seem to get a decent edge on the tool and the basic shape seems to be correct, and I checked to make sure the cut around the tip of the tool is smooth, but the actual cutting edge is never sharp. It looks like it immediately chips the edge, or the edge rolls over. I've been trying lighter touches, and been using water to dip the tip in to keep it cool every couple seconds to prevent it from getting to hot, but no matter what I do I can't seem to get the edge sharp. I'm starting to think it might be the tool (this set http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin...pr_product_top). I don't like to blame the tool, since I've seen people who are good at what they do use crappy tools to do amazing work, but I've tried everything I can think of to get the tool sharp but so far no luck. Should I just try a new nicer tool, or does it sound like I'm just screwing something up when sharpening?

Thanks for any help.

-Stephen

I suspect it's just a technique issue. Have you watched this video? It might help.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001998/2001998.aspx
    1,372 miles south of Steve Schlumpf, 525 miles west of that Burns fellow.

Never, under ANY circumstance, make the last cut!

I would think that it is not the tool. Hopefully someone with you grinding system will jump in or the video’s linked to previously will clear it up. You stated the edge is not sharp, so I assume it feels dull to your fingertip. I have a Nova also and at one time got "chips" and jumps. Check to make sure you do not have the lathe turning in reverse, that was my problem after I had finished sanding a prior bowl.
    Mike
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Stephen - any chance you can post a couple photos of the problem gouge? Would go a long way in determining the problem.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Well I figured out the problem, mainly it appears that I'm an idiot. I was holding the tool incorrectly against the wood and thus was getting weird problems, once I actually started using the tool as it was made to be used then surprise, surprise, it actually started to work.

Sometimes I wonder how I even manage to tie my shoes much less actually turn something.

-Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Saar View Post
    Well I figured out the problem, mainly it appears that I'm an idiot. I was holding the tool incorrectly against the wood and thus was getting weird problems, once I actually started using the tool as it was made to be used then surprise, surprise, it actually started to work.

Sometimes I wonder how I even manage to tie my shoes much less actually turn something.

-Stephen
    Well I know I've done some goofy things along the learning route. You're certainly not an idiot. Keep at it and keep laughing at your mistakes.

Stephen - hey, you learned something!

We all do things that seem dumb - after we figure out the correct way. I actually thought Michael had figured it out because I have turned - or tried to turn - many times with the lathe in reverse! Doesn't work very well and when you figure it out you have one of those moments!

Have fun turning!
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 09-13-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Stephan you are the long stranger here. I have made many mistakes along the way. If you learn from it that is what counts.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great that you figured out the problem. Much easier to fix than getting your finger caught between the wood and the tool rest. Keep at it, it does get easier.

You will get good at it soon enough!

Stephen, I started with a couple of Benjamins best gouges that I have worn to the end of the flute, they worked well but needed to be resharpened a lot! I now have a Crown "Ellsworth" signature gouge and 2 of Doug Thompsons gouges and it is like night and day and how long the edge last on a good quality tool with good steel! For the price of one of Doug's tools you will not be dissapointed and you get to make a real nice handle for it yourself if you choose! The crown gouge stays just as sharpe as long and the Thompson's but all of them have different grinds and different flutes and sizes so they all get used equally. So save your pennies and eventually get a nice gouge and you will never look back!

Have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown