Thread: Leigh FMT purchase problem

Leigh FMT purchase problem

I just joined your forum and I'm looking for recommendations. I am having problems with my purchase of a Leigh FMT jig system. I would like to get recommendations for another system as I will probably return this FMT.

Thanks
    Greg

Greg,
    I have the Leigh FMT and have used it and like it. It gives accurate mortises and tennons. Here is one of themany pics on the website:

I have also used the Festool Domino mortiser and love it for speed, accuracy and tightness.

Here is the easiest way to find things on the website : google for "site:woodshopdemos.com domino" and just change the subject name.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Greg,

Some alternatives are MortisePal, Trend M&T jig, Domino, and don't forget to consider homemade versions if you have the time. I made this one a while back: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91686

Good luck,

Pete

Hi, Greg.

Your post caught my attention. What has gone wrong with your purchase? Did you purchase in the U.S.? Is it damaged? Did it arrive damaged? Have you called Leigh Industries? They are terrific.

If you keep having trouble, I suggest you call them, if you have not. Something does not sound right. I will be interested in what happens.

Regards,

Al Navas
    St Joseph, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Riach View Post
    I just joined your forum and I'm looking for recommendations. I am having problems with my purchase of a Leigh FMT jig system. I would like to get recommendations for another system as I will probably return this FMT.

Thanks
    Greg
    Last edited by Al Navas; 09-14-2009 at 7:34 PM.
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

What is your FMT issue? (I love mine).

What work are you using the FMT for?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm interested too, if you don't mind sharing

Hi Al, Mike, Jacob

I hesitate to post my problems since another member on the Canadian Woodworking site has taken offense to my posting there. I am not trying to cause a controversy but I am trying to get recommendations. In order to clarify my problem I have copied the post I submitted to "Canadian Woodworking Forum".

"The problem I am having is with Leigh Industries. I purchased, from Lee Valley Tools, and fully paid for a Leigh FMT jig on July 28, 2009, they did not have one in my Burlington store so it went on back-order. This was fine since I was going on holidays. On July 28, 2009 I sent in my original receipt together with my shipping information as per Leigh instructions, see below:

"Here's how it works! Buy a Leigh FMT Frame Mortise & Tenon Jig at your favorite tool store during the month of July and mail the original receipt along with your shipping address to: Leigh Industries, 1615 Industrial Avenue, Port Coquitlam, BC. V3C 4K6. Leigh will ship your bonus guides and bits directly to you."

I still have not received the bonus guides so I called today and was informed that I needed to send in my "original receipt" and the serial number. I attempted to explain that they already had my "original paid receipt" (which they acknowledged) but they still want the "original receipt" Nowhere was the serial number previously requested.

I am very disappointed in Leigh Industries for the unacceptable customer response. Hopefully other woodworkers can suggest a replacement jig as I have not opened the FMT box and will probably return it.

Greg"

I'm very sure that the Leigh FMT jig will work as others have suggested, I am very happy with my Leigh Dovetail Jig.

I truly believe that our purchasing decisions do make a difference and at this time I am not comfortable in supporting Leigh Industries by keeping my FMT jig and therefore supporting their policies and poor customer service.

I am not trying to get into a fight with anyone, I would appreciate recommendations for another jig or tool to do M&T joinery.

If I have not answered your questions please PM me and we can talk.

Greg

Greg,
    That is a reasonable squablle you have going with Leigh and makes a very different post. I think the answers you got from me and others are still in order but being so candid earlier would have helped.
    My two cents: while you are aggravated with Leigh, you are not disappointed with the product, nor should you be. I would keep it and still push for the proper settlement.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Hi John

I appreciate your responses and recommendation. I really don't want to squabble with Leigh or anyone. My problem is a purchase problem not a product problem and therefore I titled my posting as such. If I had asked for a M&T jig recommendation I would have received many suggestions to purchase the Leigh FMT. I tried to just ask for recommendations without being candid earlier or starting off by telling about my problem with Leigh Industries. It seems like my post lead others to think I had product problems.

Thank you for your "two cents", I am not disappointed in the product I have not even opened the box so I don't know what the capabilities are.

At this point I think that it will be difficult to get "a proper settlement" because I don't think a company should change the requirements or the posted rules of a bonus offer without advising everyone. Remember Leigh Industries sent me an unsolicited email advertisement about their "Bonus Offer". They should have also sent me the rules/requirements changes of requiring a serial number on the original paid bill of sale.

There was and still is no way I can comply with their new requirement since they have my original paid bill of sale, my Leigh FMT was backorded and Lee Valley Tools does not print the serial number on their bills of sale. By the way Lee Valley Tools has offered to do everything they can to help. They are are great company to do business with.

I believe that our purchasing decisions matter. I support companies that are clear in their requirements and offer good customer support. I do not feel that I should support a company that changes the rules/requirements and does not inform all involved parties.

I am listening to you and other woodworkers that tell me what an excellent product it is. Perhaps I will do as you say.

Whatever I do I thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Thanks
    Greg

Greg, this forum is great. Great discussion with lots of input and usually no problems. Most everything here is pretty low key.

Not sure it will help you at all but a buddy bought teh FMT and the guides. Then the promo happened a week latter. Lee Valley had him send back his guides and they sent the free ones. Call Leigh back up and see what they can do. I am sure they just want you to own a FMT and be happy with it. If you had the FMT now could you now give the the serial number?

You want my serial number off my older machine? Would it help you at all? Maybe they will know it is old but just an offer.

I respect you decision and buying power.

Did you purchase the FMT knowing about the bonus? My buddy just got lucky. He was cool with paying for the whole setup. Just so happened teh bonus came along.

Again, I just want you to be happy and I tell you what, if you like teh DT jig you will LOVE what that FMT can do.

So I have the FMT and the Laguna Floor mortiser and Jet floor hollow chisel and some mortise chisels. All are great machines/tools. I think all very different machines as well.

I still would like a Domino and a Multi router. I like tools though.

Want a great machine???!!! JDS Multi Router.

Let me know if you want any more info about my machines.

Hi Mike

I will try to answer your posting and questions:

1. "Greg, this forum is great. Great discussion with lots of input and usually no problems. Most everything here is pretty low key."

I agree, I have been a non-posting member since February 2006

2. "If you had the FMT now could you now give the the serial number?"

I picked up the FMT from Lee Valley Tools today, all I need to do is open the box to get the serial number. Customer support was very definite that I needed to send them the original bill of sale with the serial number on it. They have they original bill of sale, so I cannot send them the original bill of sale with the serial number on it.

3. I respect you decision and buying power.

I truly believe that our buying decisions do make a difference. I only wish more people thought so

4. Did you purchase the FMT knowing about the bonus?

Yes, Leigh Industries sent me an unsolicited advertising email about their "Bonus Offer". I can forward you a copy if you are interested. Nowhere does it mention that a serial number is required. It does state that all requests must be in by August 31, 2009. I sent my paid bill of sale in on July 28, 2009 because I was going to be away when the offer expired.

3. Again, I just want you to be happy and I tell you what, if you like teh DT jig you will LOVE what that FMT can do.

I certainly like my Leigh Dovetail Jig and was looking forward to using the Leigh FMT today when I returned from holidays.

4. So I have the FMT and the Laguna Floor mortiser and Jet floor hollow chisel and some mortise chisels. All are great machines/tools. I think all very different machines as well.

Thanks for the recommendation

Greg

I think I'm having trouble understanding the issue here...

You already stated that they confirmed having possession of your original receipt. Why can't you just provide them with your seriel number to complete the bonus requirements?

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Would Lee Valley print out a second "original" receipt for you ??

Can you escalate this up the chain at Leigh. I am betting someone there appreciates your purchase!!

I would be glad to send them a note as well and ask them on behalf of all us at SMC, Wodnet, and my 100+ WW club at work to help you out.

Update

I was contacted by Matt from Leigh Industries yesterday. He explained why they changed the rules/requirements after the Bonus program had begun. Matt also offered to send me the Bonus Kit if I would give him my serial number.

I would like to thank all members for their suggestions, recommendations & help.

Thanks guys
    Greg