Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermark sample kit?

Thermark sample kit?

Does anyone know of a vendor who offers a Thermark sample pack of the colors for ceramic/glass? It's a bit expensive to buy the big containers of red, yellow, blue, black and white in order to test the color mixing capabilities. And since they make green, that tells me their yellow and blue will not mix true - similar to temperas I would guess. That's something like $60 x 6 = $360 plus shipping just to run some tests?

Just askin' ~ dee

ps- this is all Steve's fault anyway
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

That's why I only bought BLACK!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Blog Entries
    Now might be a good time to start experimenting with home-made Cermark
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

home-made cermark

Dan! explain please! lots of us do not want to spend so much to try this product. I have asked on numerous occassions that they offer a sample kit of all colors.

Dee, I did have access to ceramark several years ago. The black worked best. I was testing on glass. It was not "interesting "enough to persue... but, times and product have changed...

nancyB
    Xenetech xlt1325,
    Corel 13,
    Rayzist 2034 blastcabinet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancy barry View Post
    Dan! explain please! lots of us do not want to spend so much to try this product. I have asked on numerous occassions that they offer a sample kit of all colors.
    I have no special recipe, if that's what you're asking, I was suggesting maybe we should try to come up with one... at the very least, we should be able to come up with some laser-safe dyes or pigments that can add some tone to the white. There's nothing magical about the process or the materials, we simply need to find the right chemicals... I would suggest starting with glass-blowing solutions.

Hmmm, maybe I'll futz around on the net later and see what kind of concoctions I can come up with.

This poses any interesting question: what exactly IS Thermark?

I wonder what would happen if we lasered over ceramic glaze for example? Do we have anyone out there who does ceramics and knows what the make up of glaze is, in relation to a laser beam?

I know you need certain temperatures for different types of glaze and they can get into the 1000's of degrees. What is the temperature of our laser beam?

There are also people who do enamel work who use fusing for decoration. Could we use the glass dust they use?

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I haven't tried ceramic glaze yet. I guess they make that in opaque colors as well as transparent.

I have often wondered about glass frit also as I believe they make different grades of that and it may work. Any glass artists out there?

It seems what I read about brick the laser viterlizes the clay to turn it to glass. Maybe that's something to explore.

Maybe we ought to start a thread for this as it would be easier to search as we post our results and trials.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    This poses any interesting question: what exactly IS Thermark?
    It's a pretty simple recipe, actually. It's a mixture of fine clay (to absorb the laser energy and heat the mixture... this is burned off in the process), glass frit (which acts as a low-heat bonding agent for the colorant), a pigment (i.e., the colorant), and the carrier (ethanol or water). I figure rather than trying to recreate the recipe exactly from scratch, add some color to the white stuff and go from there.

There are also people who do enamel work who use fusing for decoration. Could we use the glass dust they use?
    This was my thinking... or at least combine a portion of those colorants with some Cermark/Thermark.

I looked up info on low fire overglazes: they fire at cone 6 which is 1828 degrees F. There are also low fire bisque glazes and pencils. They must be made up of the same ingredients Dan mentioned. I would assume the water based variety is something safer for the laser than solvent based, although it's dry when you would fire it. Does anyone know the temperature generated by a laser?

One small detail about Thermark: I read that it is delicate when applied, can be wiped off easily so be careful handling it. This would probably eliminate the airbrush masking technique I mentioned since you would not be able to cover areas already sprayed without ruining them. Back to Steve's spray one-burn one method.

add some color to the white stuff and go from there. Hmm. If you add pigment to white, you end up with a pastel color. You could not get a pure bright red or blue that way.

~ dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Blog Entries
    I would assume the water based variety is something safer for the laser than solvent based, although it's dry when you would fire it.
    Cermark comes mixed with ethanol (the ones that require a HazMat shipping fee), but you don' laser until it has dried.
    Does anyone know the temperature generated by a laser?
    Depends heavily upon your wattage and the dwell time, but getting to the required temps won't be a problem.
    One small detail about Thermark: I read that it is delicate when applied, can be wiped off easily so be careful handling it. This would probably eliminate the airbrush masking technique I mentioned since you would not be able to cover areas already sprayed without ruining them. Back to Steve's spray one-burn one method.
    And here I thought you had already tried this method and were simply more skilled at it I know I can leave a good impression of my fingerprint in the stuff when dried on stainless steel.
    add some color to the white stuff and go from there. Hmm. If you add pigment to white, you end up with a pastel color. You could not get a pure bright red or blue that way.
    Well, you don't expect me to solve all of the problems at once, do you? It's a starting point and would tell us if we're on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post

And here I thought you had already tried this method and were simply more skilled at it I know I can leave a good impression of my fingerprint in the stuff when dried on stainless steel.

Well, you don't expect me to solve all of the problems at once, do you? It's a starting point and would tell us if we're on the right track.
    Dan, I AM more skilled at airbrush, so I wouldn't bother to use a mask - that's how good I am!

Do you have any white CThermark? It would an interesting experiment to add some universal pigment to it. I have pigments and no CThermark other than black. I might be more inclined to buy the yellow, though, as a base. Then you would be able to use yellow, orange, red-orange, mandarin red, green, yellow-green, turquoise, brown, and dark versions of those rather than just pastels.

More work needed!

dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

So...Make your own Cermark...interesting thought.

When I was researching lasers, a salesman at one of the demo sessions said that gun blue would work also. Now at the time, I didn't know what Cermark/Thermark was, so I didn't pursue the idea. I have done a little (very littel) reseach since then and all I can find is liquid cold blue, which I'm almost certain, would not work with staining the base metal. I didn't purchase my laser from that company so I can't use then as a source for info.

Anyone heard of or tried a form of gun blue? Or other substance with any success?
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Yes, I was told the same thing I believe from Epilog, I can not remember exactly who told me since I have slept to many times since then but I do remember someone telling me the samething. However at the time I did not realize the importance of it since I was just trying to remember all the other important details of like how to align the laser, align the table, etc..etc..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]SR Engraving
    Irving, TX
    Epilog 35W, Corel X3 AND "How about those COWBOYS"...this will be the year???

A very intertesting thread I got into this for a quiet a while, but evetually dropped it, since I'm not a chemist

Did you try to contact Thermark directly. I ordered my samples from them and they are selling samll sample kits.

Originally Posted by Dee Gallo
    Does anyone know the temperature generated by a laser?
    I don't think that temperature is the problem, since you get glazes which are fired at lower temperatures - IMHO the time temperature is applied is the problem. I talked to a chemical company who are marking colors for painting glass and porcelain and they mixed me some samples that might work - unfortunately it didn't.

Didn't try to mix Thermark colors, because I was told it wouldn't work - I'd rather would mix the different liquids instead of spraying the colors on top of each other. But since I only have black, blue and the bronze/brown/goldish stuff here, it doesn't make too much sense to mix them

Andrea - very excited of the outcome of this thread

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Digby View Post
    a salesman at one of the demo sessions said that gun blue would work also.
    Hi Randy,

I can't see how the liquid blue would work as that's a chemical reaction with the liquid and the steel. I am pretty sure the laser would just boil off the liquid.

Maybe they were talking about a slurry of bluing salts like Oxynate or something. Even then though, I cannot see how that might work either.

Unless they are talking about bluing the metal then burning away the blue with the laser much like anodized aluminum.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.